Got my Forks - DRZ

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

That's funny I was thinking the same thing too.....
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
chopper

Post by chopper »

First let me say that you've made an excellent choice and that these forks will be worth the effort needed to get them dialed in. I have a set of the 98 RM250 forks mounted on a CRF250X. I also am in the process of building a CR125/KDX220 hybrid which will also be sporting a set of these. As you can see I am a fan of the conventionals. I may be able to save you some time, if you measure from the top of your fork tubes to the bottom of the lower clamp this distance needs to be 250mm or less to prevent lower clamp/outer tube contact.(at least thats true for the RM versions)
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Ok, I will measure it and confirm. If these forks work like I expect, My WR 450 may get a set as well. The WR 450 forks have a problem deflecting off of rocks, even after a pro revalve. Put me in the hospital once, don't want that to happen again.

Really, the switch was pretty easy, but I have easy access to a machinist. That and being able to use parts I had already helped a lot. The only things I had to buy were the forks and the triples.

I will probably get a RM number plate with the fork shields on it instead of the gaiters. I think I will like that look.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I measured the fork tubes and they were 265mm from the top of the tubes to the bottom of the triple clamps. I would have to drop the tubes the whole way down flush to get the 250mm measurement.

I still plan to drop the tubes to see if they will bottom out. I just have to find a way to support the front end for a controlled drop while I handle the springs.

I had my machinist friend make a custom axle spacer today, just waiting on the axle. It finally shipped today.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

A good way of seeing where the forks bottom out is by putting a ziptie on the fork tube, and simply jump on it a few times. It'll push the ziptie to where it stops.
jgas1

Post by jgas1 »

Fantastic pics and info. I just sold an 02 KTM 4t and kept an 02 DRZ 400 mainly because I love the fork on the DRZ. I did all the recomended do-it-yourself mods on ktmtalk for the 02 forks, they still sucked. Eventually I swapped the modded ones for a set of stock ones on the KTM. I just could not get them to soak up small-medium rocks and trail junk that the DRZ didn't even let me know was there. I could literally run straight over obatacles on the DRZ that would have busted a kidney from the KTM.

On the othe hand, jumping the DRZ with stock forks sucks, and KTM is fine for most MX outdoor tracks with stock forks. But I don't MX. And I bought an EXC, not an SX.

It's now a well known former secret on ktmtalk that almost any large diameter conventional fork will work better in technical woods riding on a ktm than their earlier WP USD forks. Sad thing is KTM swapped from 50mm conventional s to USDs in about 2001 and it was a step backwards for most riders. Perhaps not for A-AA guys who usually use stiff suspension and float over eveythiing anyway.

I'm old and slow. I just gotta ram into it and hope the bike don't toss me off.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Ride Update - these forks are awesome, even in the snow. Firm but plush with 5 wt oil. Better than my revalved WR 450 forks. Really confidence inspiring. :grin:

I need to tweak the shims slightly to center the wheel, and will have to shim the caliper off the fork maybe 1/8" to accommodate the disc. I need to get a divider (edit) to get an accurate measurement off the round fork surfaces. No big deal.
Last edited by gsa102 on 08:31 am Feb 09 2012, edited 1 time in total.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
f.gonzalez

Post by f.gonzalez »

What about the braking disc ? Which motorbike is it from? Looks greaat! :razz:
KDX 4 life !
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

That is the stock floating wave rotor from a 2007-current YZ or WR 450F. I used a YZ wheel and it fit perfectly on the DRZ axle. You have to use the yz spacers and add some on the brake side to center the wheel. The brakes are much stronger than on the stock KDX.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

looks great do you know if the kdx wheel will work with these forks. thanks Steve
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I have not tried it. The KDX axle was smaller than the DRZ axle. It may fit if you cross over to larger bearings and seals, and find a larger center spacer for the wheel. You will have $50 in those parts, so a $100 DRZ wheel might seem more reasonable.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Almost bought a pair of forks, but the bidding shot from $50 to $182 at the last second. Must be that good.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Here it is with the RM250 number plate. Not sure if I like the look or not...

Maybe when I do the numbers I will add some lime green to the bottoms of the number plate...

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Got my Forks - DRZ

Post by gsa102 »

bump for julien

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
goruthless

Post by goruthless »

I have 2006 DRZ400SM Forks and Triple Tree

Can you tell me what RIM & HUB will fit. Also will the rotor for that Rim & Hub fit.

My KDX Front Brake System bolts up perfect to my DRZ400SM Forks
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I guess that the dirt version DRZ wheel will fit, I would check on a DRZ forum to be sure.

I stumbled upon the WR/YZF hub has the same axle diameter and the same rotor diameter, so it bolted right up. You want a YZF 250/450 wheel, as it has the seal arrangement you need. Get YZF spacers and you will have to make additional spacers. The DRZ spacers will not fit the YZ seals. I needed the DRZ axle too.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Can you post a pic of your axle/spacer set up with the drz axle? I recently bought a pair 49mm showa's for my yz250(Will make a thread with pics later once done) with rm125/250 valving instead of drz400 valving, and I actually couldn't get the DRZ axle to work(Spacer issues)? I ended up some how making the yz axle fit by switch sides with the spacers along with a 1/4 inch spacer brake caliper side, which in turn lined the yz rotor perfectly with the caliper(Yz caliper bolted on no problem.). I will also have to make a stem due to the lower triple being thicker than the yz250 lower triple, which in turn brought the stem down about quarter of an inch.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

OK, I will get you pics. I used yz spacers and had an additional spacer custom cut, and used washers on the other side. The last race of the season is this weekend, so I will try to get mic readings (which is what you really need) for you after that. I am suprised the YZ axle fit.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Another hilarious thought is that if the RM/DRZ stem was simply an inch longer, it would have been a direct bolt on the yz250. The upper bearing has a slightly larger inside diameter than the yz bearing as does the lower(less than .5mm difference), but other than they fit perfectly into the yz races.
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Well?