KX Fork swap - using 03+ forks??

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
dan46n2
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KX Fork swap - using 03+ forks??

Post by dan46n2 »

So I've dug into this KX swap a bit by reading up on what's needed and one thing I'm noticing is that the swap of choice is clearly the 99-02 forks.
These can still be had for a relatively fair price, but there's clearly more abundance of the 03-07 forks... There are aftermarket triples on ebay for ~$50 all day... sometimes even the entire tree...fork prices don't seem to unreasonable, but one thing I notice is that there's clearly just more of the 03+ stuff...

Is there a specific reason as to why I'm not seeing any detailed swaps using the 03+ forks?
With the older stuff being more dated, and the mx guys buying new so often, it seems that the 03-07 will eventually drop in numbers like the 99-02, but for now, there's tons out there.

Does anyone know of any reason why I couldn't use the later model forks/triple setup? Or do I need to be the guinea pig and just go for it?

(timing for attempting this isn't until winter, but doesn't hurt to start picking up parts now if the price is right...
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Indawoods used 03 and someone told him that it was the best year for the kx forks... Check the overview for more info on this in the fork swap section
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
dan46n2
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dan46n2 »

Gotcha. So I guess it just really came down to circumstance.
Having the later-model forks sounds feasible, as indawoods said that it's the same process regardless.
:supz:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Most people use what they can afford. Typically the newer the better.
heckler

Post by heckler »

huh? I used a 2006 KX450. Needed some tuning to make it worthy of the forest, but now it's great! See my thread.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

07's are better
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I agree with the last 2 posts, don't overlook the twin cartridge forks. I had been patiently watching ebay and got the entire front end off an '07 kx450f for $270 with shipping.
Last edited by Tedh98 on 03:02 pm Aug 20 2011, edited 1 time in total.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I like the '96 forks. :butthead:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I bought 2000 kx 250 forks because I found a rolling bike for cheap. I have been happy with them so far. The newer forks should be better but it is up to your wallet. I wanted better forks for cheap. Some want the best forks no matter what.

If you just want something better than shop by price. If you want the best than pick out what you want and buy them! Just about any thing 96 and newer will be a big improvement.