CC's ride report!

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yeah! Then he could use a strip of innertube to put the little ones back in!!

By jove! That might be a good 'less stiction' idea...soft-bush the clamps!! They'd still stick the same...you just wouldn't feel it!

Get back to us on that, ski!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I thought I did get back to you on this: I discovered that the lower clamp pinch bolts will cause both the 2002 and the 1996 KX forks to bind enough to cause the stiction if tightened over 13 ft# of torque. I set them at 10 ft# and they both behave the same.

Here's what I did:
I removed the cap on the fork leg and took the spring out. Then I extended the fork, let it drop down the leg and observed how slowly it slid down to the bottom. Then I mounted the fork in the triple clamp and did the same thing while torquing the lower clamp 1 pound at a time. At 13 lbs, I had the full stiction effect from the innner tube binding to the outer tube clamped around it. At 10lbs torque, there was no affect of clamping on the speed the fork would slide. make sense?

Now quit making fun of me or I will have to kick your butt with my KX!!!
:blink:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Uh....but what's that got to do with prying the '96 clamps apart with a screwdriver to fit the '02 forks? :roll:

The subject wasn't stiction so much as fit between the years!

OK..Bring it up! Strap on that hemet cam, too!!! :wink:

BTW...if the fork was fully 'extended', how did it drop anywheres? :rolleyes:

Honestly, yes it makes perfect sense. A great way to test it, too!!

You're a top bloke!!!

Thanks for the info!!

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:hmm: Still don't get it...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Inda:
With the cap off the fork, the outer leg will slide down over the inner leg unless you hold it up. (extended). I attached the lower T-clamp to the fork leg, sans cap, and timed the slide of the outer leg down, each time adding 1ft# torque to the clamp bolts, until I could observe sticktion. I also compared the fork Slyk stuff that way and could not see how the fork was any slicker by timeing the slide.
If you still don't get it, then come out here to my garage. I'll demonstrate while the ribs are smoking and we polish off a couple of coronas!!!

The TAG clamp uses 3 allen bolts on the lower leg because it is quite a bit wider than the stock clamp.

I know, you still don't get it. I'll post photos, but not soon. Work is taking me into Desolation Wilderness tomorrow; a 10 mile round trip hike because I used up all my helicopter purchase order money so now the boss is making me walk. Oh, the horror!!!! I hate my job!!!

Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

...I thought this thread was all about me... :cry:

Those tags are gorgeous!!

I'm not keepin' up with stuff...your KX has the pictured TAGS on it?

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Yeah! Then he could use a strip of innertube to put the little ones back in!!

By jove! That might be a good 'less stiction' idea...soft-bush the clamps!! They'd still stick the same...you just wouldn't feel it!

Get back to us on that, ski!!
BRILLIANT! :bravo:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

He has them, not on yet I don't think.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."