New guy fork questions

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Engineer5

New guy fork questions

Post by Engineer5 »

Hi All,

A guy on my local Craigslist is parting out a 2001 KX250. What parts would I need to get from him to do a conversion on my '97 220? Are the KX250 forks o.k. or do I need to be looking for KX125 forks?

A fork conversion really isn't at the top of my need/want list at the moment but I saw the ad and thought I might try and grab the parts while they are available and cheap enough.

Thanks!
"Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured...but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Get the whole front end. Forks, wheel spacers, axle, triple clamps and all hardware. IMHO it's the first performance mod that should be done on a kdx chassis. 250 forks will work fine. Just be ready to revalve and respring.
Engineer5

Post by Engineer5 »

Well I guess it's a moot point now. I just contacted the guy and he sold the whole bike already. :sad:
"Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured...but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

>|<>QBB<
Engineer5 wrote:Well I guess it's a moot point now. I just contacted the guy and he sold the whole bike already. :sad:
From what I've seen, it doesn't take 'em long.
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
frankenschwinn wrote: 250 forks will work fine. Just be ready to revalve and respring.
That may depend on the rider. Those of us with extra "Traction" can benefit from the heavier springs. :wink:
Engineer5

Post by Engineer5 »

I weigh about 185. It seems like factory bikes are set up for skinny dudes. Especially the 125's.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I've never stepped on the scale in full gear but I would guess about 245-250. I have the stock 2000 KX 250 forks and they seem to work great for me. Much better than the KDX forks but still a little room to improve.

Yes valving and springs would make a difference but budget wise the 250 forks were better for me.