1999 KX 250 FORK SWAP

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
dgraver

1999 KX 250 FORK SWAP

Post by dgraver »

Hey i am going to start the process of swapping out my 2003 kdx200 forks for a set of 1999 kx 250 forks. I have read sooo many pages in the fork conversion topic but havent been able to drum up very much info specific to my situation.. javascriptemoticon(':shock:')

I already have the TT's/forks from the 99kx. I was going to send my tt's from the kx and kdx to rb designs (while they do my carb/head!!javascriptemoticon(':supz:') ) and have them press the stems and make a spacer.. After that is where my questions start..

the main thing that i dont quite understand is my front wheel. I would like to keep all kdx stuff if possible... because im cheap.. I emailed ronblack and he said that he is not sure if he can make fittings so the axle of my kdx works with my 99forks.. Also kinda concerned about the fitment of the front caliper..

So anyone with some info about doing a 99kx250 front end who can address any of my concerns i would be forever thankful! thanks!!

ps.. i know canyoncarver has done the 99forks.. please help.. :rolleyes:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I used the 2000 KX forks that are the same as 99 with the RB axle mod so you should be good to go. I also used the KDX brakes with no issue at all. The brakes are a direct fit.
dgraver

Post by dgraver »

rbates your the man, thanks for your input.. which bearings did you use, kdx, or kx?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You will have to use the KDX bearings
roberto_shift

Post by roberto_shift »

Hi,

rbates9 - did you have to do any modding to the stock steering stops? I've seen a couple of references in searches but most don't seem to mention it.

Thanks.
2001 KDX200 (currently down... so riding the 87 KDX200)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Yes and no. The lower triple clamp I used was beaten down at the stop area so I built the stops back up and maybe just a hair more.

A lot of people need to add stops and a lot don't. I would put them on and see if they hit and if so how bad. Some one on here had a picture of a stop spacer made out of just a piece of thin steel bolted to the frame stop that looks to be the easiest way if you can't weld up the triple clamp stops.

By the way the stops on my triple are just tall enough to make full contact with the frame stop so adding a little height to the triple clamp stop or lowering the frame stop in some way wouldn't hurt.
mattnzl

Post by mattnzl »

I've got 01 forks on my 05 200 and the top clamp has started leaving a mark in the tank :cry:
This is only because the KX stops are worn down - once they have been built back up to normal it will be fine.
roberto_shift

Post by roberto_shift »

Thanks - I wondered why info was so different on what I've looked up.
2001 KDX200 (currently down... so riding the 87 KDX200)