KX 250 Owners, Need Some Info.

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

KX 250 Owners, Need Some Info.

Post by jafo »

I'm trying to decide on a damper. In order to figure out what I need, I would like to know the outside diameter of your steering neck of the frame. I want to see if it's the same as the KDX's neck size. Just so that I can be ready when I do order my damper, I'll be covered on info.

Jon.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hi Jon,
I think the KDX is smaller than the KX. You are talking about the part of the frame that has the upper bearing race pressed in, right? When I did the KX fork swap, the KX upper bearing was way too large. But not to worry, I think I have a KX clamp for a Scotts Dampener in my box of stuff. I got it with my eBay auction for the Scotts I won some time ago. I made it work for a while by shimming up the difference. I don't know it came from a KX; I was told it was for a Yamaha. Just take some calipers down to the dealer and measure. If it's close, let me know and I'll send it your way to see if it will do the trick. Standard fee: It's free!!!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I'll check it out ski, thanks.

Jon.
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

no jafo they are different sizes. i will go measure the steering stem od on my 03 kx250 and report back. i haven't really felt like looking at a motorcycle for about 3 weeks. tough month. i would measure the od on an 04 kdx but my friend is gonna be out of town a couple days. the 89-94's wont work though done tried it.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just get the KDX pin setup... mines all KDX other than the top bar clamp...that's KX.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Thanks for the replys. I finally got un-stupid and just called Scott's and got it all lined out last week. :wink: Great people to work with and very petient with not so smart guys like me.

Jon.
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

thats why we are here i told somebody somewhere a long time ago just call scotts
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Yes, it's much easier than filling the boards with questions and waiting for replys that Scott's could answer very easily.

Jon.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Well I had a feeling this would happen. It's just my luck, I get the kit and no bar perches for the larger bars were in the box. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I specifically told him I was going with larger bars if I remember correctly. I'm not to happy. I have all this stuff to do and it's the middle of the week and I would like to do alittle riding saturday. Now all I have to look forward to is going down to Emig's to get the purches I should have gotten from Scott's and buy them from Emig's if I want to go riding saturday. I called Scott's and went over the order and asked if they could get me a set by Friday, answer? Nah, could'nt do that. I kind of don't feel like this was all my fault and would have liked alittle help from them in the way of helping me out on shipping in the way of next day air delivery. It's the least I expected after spending $530 with them. I was considering getting more items from them but not now. I fully plan on ordering my parts else where. I'm glad you guys had better luck with them than I did. It's to bad because I seen several things that I was going to get and ordering them from one place would have made it alot easier. So now I sit with a torn down bike and do not have two little purches to put it all together. THIS SUCKS!

Jon.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

If I understand right, you need the bar mounts for fat bars, right? After calling Scotts, and getting that answer, I would have asked to speak to someone else who can make the decision to ship overnight. It's still not too late for that. If that doesn't work, then call the credit card company after the bill arrives and report the charge is fraudulant, if you paid that way. They charged for the part but didn't send it, then it's a fraudulant charge until they make it right.

If the perches are the exact same ones at Emig's that Scotts is selling, then call Scotts and have them cancel that part of the order and refund the amount from your bill along with the shipping, as a sign of good customer service. Also, you could just keep your Emig receipt and when the Scotts perches come in, take them to Emig for a refund. That's a bit unethical, but if you explain to Emig, AND place an order with them, I bet they wouldn't mind since it's a stocked item.

Any way you could just use the 7/8ths bars and hold off swapping them until Scotts sends the rest of your order? Or perhaps modifiy the stock bar clamps for the oversized bars.

Personnally, I'd hound the hell out of Scotts, first kindly and friendly like. You may get another person by calling back who will send them express. Then get more serious with the discussion and point out that billing your credit card without shipping the product violates the law. Keep at it and they will have to respond in some fashion.

Good Luck and I hope you get to ride this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Gosh Ski... I'd hate to have made a mistake on an order for you.

I think in the heat of the matter something is not being thoughout. When I ordered my top clamp, there was no mention of perches coming with it. I knew this when I ordered so I knew what I was getting. Is this the way it went down Jon?

When I ordered the Scott's KDX setup it did not mention perches. I wasn't even aware that they sold them as a matter of fact.

It's not a big loss if you can get them locally is it? It may be disappointing but rarely do things go off without a hitch.

It's like the ELINE pipe guard I ordered... It wasn't their fault that FMF made a different pipe that FMF didn't even know they made. ELINE offered to make me a custom guard if I would just send my pipe to them.... That was a fantastic gesture and will stick in my mind.

Next time verify exactly what you are getting before sealing the deal and there will be no disappointments. If Scotts made a mistake on the order, they would send them to you overnight... always been my experience with them anyway.

Jon,
If this is not the way it was, I appologize for trying to make excuses for them but I just never have seen them this way....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Inda: Yup, you don't want to annoy the monkey!!!!!!!!! :lol:

There's lots of speculation on what is said by whom during a verbal phone order. That's why I always follow up with a e-mail confirmation or a fax if e-mail isn't an option. Almost always, the seller initiates the e-mail. Most recently was a phone order with Rockmountainmc.com and with Cabela's. They both sent me e-mail confirmations with the tracking # of the shipment along with an invoice of the order.

I've no problem with folks making a mistake with an order. I'll give them a chance to make it right with me, their customer. If they cop an attitude such as, "Nah, could'nt do that" without any offer to make it right with me if my suggestion wasn't acceptable, then I get annoyed.
Jerry

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I understand what your saying Ski. I'd like to make it clear though it was not intirely thier fault, it was part my fault because I failed to go back over the order with him to make duoble sure that it included everything. I guess thats my problem, what made me unhappy was the fact that he just acted like, Oh well, we got'm if you need'm and you'll just have to go through the entire ordering process(meaning shipping) just like on a regular order in which I would have to pay for the shipping. I told him that I understood the kit to include the purches mainly because I was ordering all new bars that were larger than the one's I had. They did not charge me for something I did'nt recieve. I got what I payed for technicaly. It's just the inconvenience of not having all the necessary parts. I would have bought the purches on the first order if the guy would have told me those were extra, he did not but did send a new top part of the bar clamp for the large bars though. See what I'm getting at? I thought the bar clamps would be complete in the kit, but they were not, they are extra.

I have to be fair and imartial though. He did help me out on exactly what I needed. He did'nt want me to go to Emigs and get the wrong part, so I'll give him that much credit. He was also very pleasant, alittle to pleasant. I would have made them fix this but I don't have time to jack ass around with them. I fully plan on riding this weekend, and have'nt the time to wait on parts. I wonder if they do this with the factory teams they sponsor when they need a part? I should have told him I was Ivan Tadesko or Langston and needed this part ASAP and seen what he'd have done. :shock:

No harm no foul, it's water under the bridgwe with me. I had a buddy go to Emigs today and get me the purches I need. $35. Done deal.

By the way ski, I hope I never annoy the monkey either. :mrgreen:

Jon.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I still say draw a quarter 'em!!!!

(an annoyed monkey is hard to sooth back down)

Man, I would sure like to animate my monkey avitar so it bounces up and down like you see them do when upset. Also to have his mouth open and close as if he's making his monkey noises. Anyone know how to do that? There's a banana in it for you!!!
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sorry ski... file size would be too big!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Indawoods wrote:Sorry ski... file size would be too big!
Ha, Ha, Ha!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!! Thats if you read it a certain way. :lol:

I got the damper on. The lower purches from Emigs did not fit quite right. They may be ment to work with his bar clamp top only or somethin. Either that or these bars are bigger than 1 1/8. I had equal gaps on the front and rear contact areas of the bar clamps. I just shimmed them with washers. It looks good and worked out fine. I'm go'n ride'n!!!!!!!!!!

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Glad to hear you got everything lined out.....It always seems when you push your deadlines something always comes up.

Now post some damn pics! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think mine had a gap on each side. Isn't that how it normally goes??

Tedesco and Langston are running Pro Circuit clamps by the way. :mrgreen:

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/g ... 83,00.html
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Jason wrote:I think mine had a gap on each side. Isn't that how it normally goes??

Tedesco and Langston are running Pro Circuit clamps by the way. :mrgreen:

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/g ... 83,00.html
I don't know. I've always had no gap running the 7/8" bars. I've never ran the 1 1/8" bars. I took a look at the item catalog today and seen that in thier examples there are gaps in between the upper and lower clamps. I'm going to go out tonight and remove the washers. They might be keeping the clamps from tightening properly. The bars seem solid but you never know until it's to late. I'll get those washers out tonight!

Jon.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Indawoods wrote:Glad to hear you got everything lined out.....It always seems when you push your deadlines something always comes up.

Now post some damn pics! :lol:

:wink: Will do Chief! I'm going to remove the washers first. I don't want anyone to see them in there and think they should do the same. I want it to be a correct example of what it should look like. :wink:

Jon.