any bearing experts out there?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
heckler

any bearing experts out there?

Post by heckler »

In fitting my KX450 fork to the 05 KDX220, I'm considering a different way to mount the fork, but haven't found the magic solution yet.

Instead of pressing out the stem, I'd love to find the right sized top bearing so that I can keep the KX stem with the KX fork (and my KDX stem with my KDX fork).

A tapered roller bearing that's 28 x 47 x 15 mm would be the cat's ass - it would drop right in. Unfortunately, FAG and SKF don't make this size of roller bearing, likely because it's not a possible size. The stock KDX bearing is 25X47X15 mm and the KX stem is 28 mm.

I found an FAG NAO 30 X 47 X 16 needle bearing, which would fit with a 1 mm spacer between KX stem and bearing ID. But it's a needle bearing - will it hold up to axial loads? I'd also have to figure out a seal for it.

Got any suggestions where else to look?

Yeah, I know - I'll probably end up going the tried and true route, but thought I'd give it a look from a different angle.
ChubbyWookie

Post by ChubbyWookie »

Needle bearing wont handle the proper loads. I'm not sure about the KX450 stem/bearing size as I used a KXF250 front end. Unfortunaly a bearing of that size probably does not exist due to the large ID,small OD and angle of rollers (pretty sure next size up is 52mm OD). Did you check KOYO? I belive they make most bearings for Kawasaki.

In my case with the KXF250 front end I machined a new stem out of aluminum. I'm sure it wouldn't cost much to have a shop do it.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I think you need to pay a visit to your local bearing supply house.

It is possible that you would have to change the "cup" part of the bearing (outer race) in the frame. I went that way when I put a KX front end on my KDX. I kept the KX stem with the KX forks.

I found that I could find a bearing for the lower part of the stem but not the top. I ended up cutting off the pocket that holds the bearing cup and welding one on that let me use the bearing set I wanted.

I wrote it up on here if you can find it.

A set of needle bearings is probably not the way to go....
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Try this.
I went back and looked. I don't think you can do what you want, exactly.

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... &&start=20
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
heckler

Post by heckler »

thanks Karl.

I've got a call into my local bearing supplier, but am planning on pressing it out the old fashioned way - not expecting many results.
heckler

Post by heckler »

I gave up on this dream. Pressed the stems out and am getting new KDX stem bearings for the fun of it.