KDX with KLX revisited.

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
MadMax

KDX with KLX revisited.

Post by MadMax »

I just picked up a set of 2001 KLX 300 forks and trees cheap and have them on my 95 KDX. Got a set of the 03 UFO KX fork guards. I'm in the process of engineering a front brake line steady and odo cable guide. Before I start cutting, welding and otherwise thread tapping and soldering, has anyone come up with a clean and sanitary way (other than zip ties) to tie these down? Yes, I'm very particular about the way the bike looks and would rather not use duct tape.

I'll be posting before and after pics after I'm finished. :supz:
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Believe me, I frigged around with this for an entire weekend. The ODO cable basically HAS to follow the stock KLX routing, or else it will bind and kink. I tried everything imagineable, that cable needs to have a lot of slack in it so it can move and not bind.

For the brake line, I'm using the KLX for guards, but I made a bracket that takes the line INSIDE the chrome tube, right at the very bottom, then up behind the fork guard the entire way, using the clips in the KLX guards. I did not go in front of the fork guard like you would on a KX fork. Staying behind the guard keeps the line well protected.
'00 KDX 220R
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I thought about using the KDX odo cable guide and fashioning a band to go around the fork to fasten it to. I haven't tested everything but it seems you have, can you even have the odo cable exit the hub behind the fork like on the KDX?

I may end up having to use the old zip ties for the brake line. I figure punch a hole at the bottom of the guard and one at the top (above the UFO guide thingie) should hold it steady. I'll just leave the top one loose so it won't bind and rub the guide or possibly use a spacer between the line and guard. Not sure yet.

Thanks for the response!
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

With regards to the ODO cable, you need to have it exit the front of the hub, wrap around the OUTSIDE of the fork leg, through the bracket in the fender, and up. I tried having it "fixed" to the fender with a 1/2" wire bracket, but no dice. It ended up kinking. That bracket on the fender is big for a reason.

Here's a pic of how the ODO cable needs to go. The KLX has the exact same setup, so this was easy. I mounted the stock KDX bracket to my KX front fender.

Here's a front shot. You can kinda see the brake line, in behind the KLX fork guard. It has provisions to clip the line in there.

'00 KDX 220R