KDX fork question

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
plotski

KDX fork question

Post by plotski »

Did they ever put rebound damping adjustment on kdx forks? Or are they all just compression damping adjustment and thats it? I recently purchased my 2nd kdx...my first is a 1993 KDX 250...it took awhile but I finally got the thing to handle the way I wanted....heavier fork springs(custom made by eibach) thicker fork oil and slightly lower oil level....my only complaint is the lack of a rebound damping adjustment. So anyway I just bought a 1997 KDX220 and figured with the conventional forks and 4 years newer it would have rebound...alas I am wrong. however it appears that any kdx 200/220 forks from 97 to 2005 should fit on this bike. There are tons of them available.....do ANY of them have both compression AND rebound damping adjustments....or do I have to look at converting to MX forks to get this option?
Wherever you go......there you are

1993 KDX250
1997 KDX220 Street Legal !!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Sorry, no rebound adjustment on any '89 or newer KDX's regardless of model. MX forks are the best option IMO.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Like he said Nope, and yup
plotski

Post by plotski »

Thanks guys. Any recomondations for the best/easiest fork conversion for the 97 220? Not sure if I will do it,as i got the 250 pretty well dialed in...but it would make those last minute adjustments sooooo much easier! are there any bolt on options are do all mx fork conversions require triple trees,brakes,wheel and axle?

1993 KDX250
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

all need the stem swap with triple trees, brakes, wheel and axle.
Unless you find a KX 500 and I believe the stem is the same so now stem swap required.
plotski

Post by plotski »

Thanks for the info! Its really too bad they didnt put better forks on these bikes....because other than that,it seems like they are excellent woods bikes!

1993 KDX250
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The stem swap should not scare you. If you have a press and any luck it is just a matter of pressing them out and pressing the KDX stem back in. RBD has a great spacer to use for the top. He can even do the pressing for you if need be.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
plotski wrote:Thanks for the info! Its really too bad they didnt put better forks on these bikes....because other than that,it seems like they are excellent woods bikes!

Fredette ran those forks for years :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS