Heavy 2000 KX fork springs

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
wbeams

Heavy 2000 KX fork springs

Post by wbeams »

I'm in the process of doing my first conversion on a KDX to a set of USD forks i got from a 2000 KX 250. I am 6'6" and 280lbs and I am having a terrible time finding springs for my weight. I am looking for .52 springs anyone have any suggestions? Also are there any other mods I should do to the forks to make them work better?

Thanks,

Wayne
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

if they have bladder, remove them, they will be more wood friendly and not so stiff/harsh.
On the other hand since you're a big guy might not be such an issue, don't know.
I'm sure other will chime in.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

THESE are listed as '02 fork springs, but you can check to see if they'll work on the '00 forks or see what they have for '00 forks.

These are considerably cheaper than other springs and I bought front and rear springs from that eBay company after reading positive review on TT. If you buy both front and back, they ship for free.
wbeams

Post by wbeams »

Thanks for the replys, the bladders have already been removed from previous owner. I have actually emailed that company to see if they have springs. I have looked and it seems that 99-01 they didn't make any springs heavier than .46 02 and up I can get all the way up to .58 So I am guessing there must be a differance. I read something about replacing an O ring with a spring once but can't find anything on it now.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I believe that o-ring/spring is a modification to the mid-valve.

I came across something along those lines when I was researching how to re-valve my forks. There was a lot of info on the '99-'02 forks.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I used the same forks on mine and did the bladder removal my self. I stuck them on with the stock springs and am pretty happy with them. I have done some mild jumps and with a fairly hard landing there was about 2 1/2 inches of fork left not getting used. But you have about 60 lbs on me so you will probably need to get heavier springs. Might be worth a try if you can't find springs yet, they will have to be better than the stock forks.

The oring to spring thing was on the other site (TT) and there was a place I found that had a pretty good spring selection, I just can't remember where right now. If it comes to me I will let you know.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Racetech carries .48's for your forks. I highly doubt you will need heavier than that

I have .47's on my bike and they are just about right, I weigh right about 295
Last edited by Mr. Wibbens on 12:55 pm May 04 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
wbeams

Post by wbeams »

Mr. Wibbens,
Are you running the same forks I have? Thanks for the reply I'll check them out.

Wayne
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Forks should not matter, you spring for the bike not the forks

I'm running 07 KX450 forks

My sag numbers are right on the money for my weight
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
wbeams

Post by wbeams »

I understand you spring for the weight not the forks but from what I have read the year of forks I have were somewhat of a transition year for the technology in the fork. Thats why the fork specs changed from 03 on in regards to springs.

Thanks
kawie

Post by kawie »

here you go.
these guys can get or make whatever you want.
http://cannonracecraft.com/
Kawie

heres another for the kx front springs.they have them all the way up to .54 .
http://www.cannonracecraft.com/catalog3 ... cts_id/150
2004 kx125
2001 kdx220
2000 kx250
1996 kx250
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
wbeams wrote:I understand you spring ...
I'm not sure you do

From what I was told by a couple of suspension tuners, you spring for the bike, does not matter what technology is going on in your forks. If you have stock forks, usd cartridge or twin chambers, you still would use the same weight spring :wink:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
wbeams

Post by wbeams »

Thanks for the input guys. I talked with mxtech and they ordered me a set of .52's they had to be custom wound from eibach, Kawie thanks for the info I wish I had seen it earlier. I had already ordered my springs. Jeramy at racetech told me to go with a .52 because in those forks going higher makes them really harsh and unless I was doing SX I wouldn't like them. My weight actually calls for a .56. I got them in the mail last night so I am just waiting on my triple clamps to come back from RB so I can put it all together and see how it rides. I guess I'll have to ride my 450X at the GNCC this weekend.
wbeams

Post by wbeams »

I have been riding with my new forks with upgraded springs and what a difference. They ride much higher in the stroke and take hits so much better. I do allot of Enduro Cross type of riding and they have made a huge improvement for it. I have read about all the issues on brake line routing and I am not sure what is so hard I put on RM fork guards and everything routed just like stock.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'd imagine they ride pretty high in the stroke :wink:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))