New to this and there's tons to read

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
jaredXwoodsman

New to this and there's tons to read

Post by jaredXwoodsman »

Just got some 2001 KX forks for my 2003 KDX. So from what I gather my front wheel and axle won't work with the KX forks. Am I right or wrong? So many threads to read so little time.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You are half right.

The KX forks use a larger axle than the KDX. RBDesings did make a axle mod but last I heard he stoped making them due to too many variations in forks. I used his axle mod on my fork swap and it worked great. The forks I used are 2000 KX forks so if he will do it for you it should work.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

it can be done but seems more complicated than getting wheel, axle and spacer along with the fork.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:You are half right.

The KX forks use a larger axle than the KDX. RBDesings did make a axle mod but last I heard he stoped making them due to too many variations in forks. I used his axle mod on my fork swap and it worked great. The forks I used are 2000 KX forks so if he will do it for you it should work.
too many variable from year to year. He stopped making them for that reason.
jaredXwoodsman

Post by jaredXwoodsman »

So would it make sense to get a KX axle and machine down the inside to fit the KDX? Although then the bearings wouldn't even be able to get put on.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Swapping bearings probably will not work. Turning down the axle will not work because it is hollow and not thick enough to cut that much off.

Someone on here posted that they used the axle mod after RBD stoped making them so maybe he will do it on a case by case basis, might be worth a call.

I have a KX hub and axle but I'm not sure what I'm doing with them yet.
jaredXwoodsman

Post by jaredXwoodsman »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:Swapping bearings probably will not work. Turning down the axle will not work because it is hollow and not thick enough to cut that much off.

Someone on here posted that they used the axle mod after RBD stoped making them so maybe he will do it on a case by case basis, might be worth a call.

I have a KX hub and axle but I'm not sure what I'm doing with them yet.
So can I swap hubs?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Yup
jaredXwoodsman

Post by jaredXwoodsman »

Awesome, thanks bud. That's probably a hell of a lot easier.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You should look for a hub with rotor because the KDX rotor will not work with the KX hub. The spokes are different also.
You might just want to get a KX wheel assembly if your looking for the easiest way.
jaredXwoodsman

Post by jaredXwoodsman »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:You should look for a hub with rotor because the KDX rotor will not work with the KX hub. The spokes are different also.
You might just want to get a KX wheel assembly if your looking for the easiest way.
I just realised that. I'll check eBay and local sites.
ditton

Post by ditton »

Hi there.
Yep, RB may do the axle mod for you still. He did one for me but I had been in talks/e-mails with him just as he decided to stop doing them. He did however have the measurements for my set-up ('03 KDX & wheel, 03 KX125 Trees/forks). It was cheaper than buying a KX wheel and axle and I still get use the odometer.
Aslo had him do the stem swap and spacer spacer for the trees.....don't forget that you need that too for the KX Clamps
RB Designs work was top notch, clean and fit to a "T", return package was second to none.....and got a couple of cool stickers to boot.

Ditton
jaredXwoodsman

Post by jaredXwoodsman »

>|<>QBB<
ditton wrote:Hi there.
Yep, RB may do the axle mod for you still. He did one for me but I had been in talks/e-mails with him just as he decided to stop doing them. He did however have the measurements for my set-up ('03 KDX & wheel, 03 KX125 Trees/forks). It was cheaper than buying a KX wheel and axle and I still get use the odometer.
Aslo had him do the stem swap and spacer spacer for the trees.....don't forget that you need that too for the KX Clamps
RB Designs work was top notch, clean and fit to a "T", return package was second to none.....and got a couple of cool stickers to boot.

Ditton
That was my next and last question. Can I still use my odometer?
ditton

Post by ditton »

Hello again.
You will not be able to use the odometer with the KX wheel/axle.
The only way I know of is the RB axle mod which will allow you to use the KDX wheel on KX forks......Unless you know a local machinist that can do this for you.
If you want to use the odometer, I highly recommend contacting RB and see if he can/will do the axle mod for you.....doesn't hurt to ask if you are interested.
Remember, you will also need to have the KDX steering stem put on the KX clamps and a spacer to make it fit properly when back on bike.

Hope this helps
Ditton
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

This drawing should get you close to the right dimensions

(most of the dimensions were a bit oversized for my application)
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I actually found some to be undersized.

Like wibbens said this will get you close but you should do your own measuring before you get the parts made.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I believe steering stem sleeve was right on the money
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS