The Shaft

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

The Shaft

Post by wbdisco »

Well I think I got it! I have been putting together my little fork conversion for about year it seems now. I have had all the parts, but have been working on my daughter's Polini 50 so haven't had any time to work on my bike.

I had purchased on ebay the following
2000 KX250 triple
2001 KX250 front wheel and axle
2001 KX/RM 125 forks

I thought I had done all my research and figured that all these parts were compatible. Sooooo, I had hell getting the forks to fit in the triples, and come to find out I think the guy sold me pre-2000 Rm forks which have 49mm shafts and an outside diameter of 55.77mm at the top clamp, and 59.66mm at the bottom clamp. I can't really complain about the forks though, because i only paid $30 for them (i am sure he learned his lesson on putting a reserve though) I didn't really start to put it all together until I was putting the front wheel on and the rotor kept rubbing the outside edge of the caliper, so much that the wheel wouldn't move. I tried adjusting it with a washer or two but no dice. I had looked on other threads and didn't see anyone having the same issues.

So I was going to see if one of you guys could mic the tubes from a 2000 KX125 fork on the outside diameter for me. I am hoping that either i can find me a triple to match the forks, instead of buying new forks. I made the spacer for the triple in my dads shop, and pressed the stem in and everything fits awesome except the caliper and the forks.....hopefully something will work out for me on the swap.
2000 KDX200(mine)
Polini X3(daughter)(FOR SALE)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
1969 M35a2 (Deuce and a 1/2)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I have 2000 KX 250 forks, I think they are the same. What part of what tube did you need a measurement for?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Is the caliper side wheel spacer the right size?
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

measure on the forks about where the clamp would be tightened around it if you don't mind. Yeah the spacers are right
2000 KDX200(mine)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Top - 54.85
Bottom - 58.35
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
wbdisco wrote:measure on the forks about where the clamp would be tightened around it if you don't mind. Yeah the spacers are right
Somewhere on here some one had issues with having the wrong year axle spacer.
kdub405
Supporting Member

Post by kdub405 »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:Is the caliper side wheel spacer the right size?
+1 on that.

I had the wrong spacers and experienced the same thing.
Ride on
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I had to shave some material off the caliper mount to get the clearance I needed

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

i ordered the spacers from allballs, because they didn't come with the axle.. I hope they were right. Also, it looks like my forks are about 1mm bigger on the OD, I guess i need to find some RM125 triples, even though I did force fit the forks that I have now.
2000 KDX200(mine)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The triples may be the wrong size but the rotor to caliper spacing is set by the wheel spacer on the left. You don't even need the fork in a triple to get the rotor spacing correct. Just slip the axle thru the wheel, spacer and left fork.
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

I will give it a shot, I did a little research on the forks and it turns out that in 2001 Suk went from a 49mm to 47mm shaft, that is why the OD is wrong, I bought them as 2001, but they are 96-2000. I will double check the spacer, but it is supposed to be correct for the wheel that I have. I would say I need about a 1/8 to 1/4" to make it right. I could shave the caliper like Mr. Wibbens said, but then I would be screwed if I ever went back to the KDX forks. I will measure the caliper side spacer tomorrow and post it up so you guys can maybe give me something to go on there. If need be I can shave off some of the spacer with my dad's lathe. good lord this "easy" swap has become a PITA, now time for some Wild Turkey :partyman:
2000 KDX200(mine)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
wbdisco wrote: I could shave the caliper like Mr. Wibbens said, but then I would be screwed if I ever went back to the KDX forks. :
or just add a couple washers
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<>QBB<
wbdisco wrote: I could shave the caliper like Mr. Wibbens said, but then I would be screwed if I ever went back to the KDX forks. :
or just add a couple washers
guess your right, but what do you guys think about the forks having a 1-1.5mm difference on the OD than the correct forks? Like I said earlier, i "made" them fit, but do you see any major issues with them being larger on the triple?
2000 KDX200(mine)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

What did you do to "Make them fit" ?
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

well, I used a little wedge to spread the clamp. It had been so long since i had fooled with switching forks I couldn't remember if that was normal or not
2000 KDX200(mine)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I had to use a large flat bladed screwdriver to spread the clamps to fit my tubes back into the triples
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

well i used a wedge and some grease, I just don't remember it being such a PITA
2000 KDX200(mine)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Mine were out of the trees for nearly 4 months. It was a pita sliding them back in the first few times
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

yeah i would say mine were out for probably 6 months or so, didn't have time to mic the spacer today, i have to leave for work. But I will measure it first thing in the morning and see if it is correct.
2000 KDX200(mine)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

With out the caliper in place can you get an idea as to if the wheel is centered in the forks? That may help to see where the problem is.

If you can get the forks in the triples with a little bit of prying than that will probably work for now at least. And they may even take the shape of the forks after a while. You may be able to hone them a little so they fit a little smoother too.