KX Rim

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDX200Kev

KX Rim

Post by KDX200Kev »

I am in the mist of collecting parts for a KX fork swap. At this point I just need the KX front wheel. Do any of the KX rims match the KDX ones? If not what have you done to get them to match? Anyone relace the KDX rim to the KX hub? I understand the holes on the KDX rim need to be drilled larger for the KX spoke nipples to fit.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Don't confuse rims with wheels and or hubs...... Any KX rim will fit or can be massaged to fit on a KDX hub, but that's not the issue.

The problem is the fork width (for one). You cannot put a KDX wheel on a KX forkset due to the width of the hub/spacers/odo drive and such...and don't forget about the axle.

Best bet is a KX wheel that matches your forks model-year wise. Yes, there are several years of overlap, but if they are from the same year, you will be fine.

Obviously, that is simpler if you have a complete assembly (like Skipro got)..clamps, forks, wheel, rotor..even brake caliper (I think).

It's something along the line of wheels/forks 'matching' from '98-'02 or '04. Others here have a better handle on that than I do. You can look at part numbers from BuyKawi to see if they match. Now...they may NOT match and still be suitable..but if they DO match, you KNOW you're OK.

The first wheel I got I wasn't paying attention..got a '94 wheel (something like that) and it did NOT fit the '99 axle. I had the older hub machined to fit the newer bearing outer diameter. Ended up getting another wheel in the meantime 'cuz the 'refit' of the older wheel was taking too long..but it will be a suitable replacement when it's done.

Oh...not all KXs have floating rotors on them. Might was well get one with a good floater (if you have the chance).

Besides, relacing a wheel is not a snap. If you don't know how to do it, you will be pulling your hair out. No, it's not rocket science..if you follow a procedure it's not too bad...but still, it's not a snap.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!