Fork Conversion Thoughts...

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Toby from MO

Post by Toby from MO »

I've been reading all the fork conversion threads...both the KLX 300 fork swaps and the KX fork conversions.

I've gathered the KLX 300 forks are basically the USD version of the KDX forks...though maybe stiffer than the KDX forks.

That said, I've read the KLX 300 TT's are straight "bolt-on" swap. Could a guy possibly use the KLX 300 TT's and older 43mm KX forks from 1991-1996? This would allow the straight swap of the TT's and the older KX forks should fit the TT's.

How are these older forks? Are the better than the KLX forks? I've found both the KLX TT's and the older KX forks for very reasonable prices on ebay.
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

I can't answer your question, but I can take some measurements off my KLX forks, if you need the info.
Ontario, Canada
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Maybe, but it's not likely. The fork inner tube being 43mm does not mean the outer tube is going to be the same diameter at the triple tree clamp zones.
Toby from MO

Post by Toby from MO »

>|<>QBB<
zomby woof wrote:I can't answer your question, but I can take some measurements off my KLX forks, if you need the info.
Thanks for the offer but I guess what I'm asking is...are the older, 1991-1996, KX forks better than the KLX forks. Seems they are both USD, 43mm forks. Do the older KX forks have rebound adjustments? Regardless of what I find I will need to respring for my weight.

I currently need to respring the front of my "new to me" 2000 220. I'm really not interested in the hassle or the cost of making the full KX fork conversion work...given my current ability and intended use. If I can find a more affordable, less hassle, option to make the bike better I would do it and hold off on respringing my current forks.
Toby from MO

Post by Toby from MO »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:Maybe, but it's not likely. The fork inner tube being 43mm does not mean the outer tube is going to be the same diameter at the triple tree clamp zones.
The fit is the other part of my question. Reading last night...I got this idea from a different forum. The original poster suggested the idea was plausible but had not completed the project to confirm the older KX fork fit the KLX TT.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I used '95 KX forks on a KDX. They had comp and rebound adjustment and were much better than the OEM forks.
Whether they would fit KLX USD forks I do not know, but the idea has merit.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I used mid 90's yz250 forks. 43mm, good factory springs for my weight, worked out nicely. A little harsh in the HS damping though. I'm going to try my hand at restacking the shims. I like them much better than the stockers for aggressive riding and big hits, but they don't soak up the little bumps nearly as well.
csw220

Post by csw220 »

Well i`m doing the swap right now with a `95 KX for the same reasons as Karl....rebound, comp AND no underhang. If your patient, roller chassis` or parted out bikes can be had for cheap...I got everything COMPLETE , new fatty bars and 756 included...$200.00 on CL. ( I have been lookin for over a year)
They may not be the perfect setup compared to the `96 and newer but having the piece of mind to not get hung up in a deeper rut is worth it along with adjustability.
bryce

Post by bryce »

What do I need to swap out my KFC forks with klx 300r forks? Thanks, Bryce
bryce

Post by bryce »

Kdx, sorry spellcheck :grin:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

bryce wrote:What do I need to swap out my KFC forks with klx 300r forks? Thanks, Bryce
IIRC....Forks, trees and new head bearings.....direct swap.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Fork Conversion Thoughts...

Post by KDXGarage »

triple clamps, forks and check on brakes and front wheel

bearings are the same
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128