96 kx front end in 95kdx

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
casola
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

96 kx front end in 95kdx

Post by casola »

Hey Everyone,

I found a complete front end with wheel and trees for 175.00 first, is that a really good deal if forks aren't banged up?

second, are there any modifications to the internals themselves to make the ride more trail oriented and a little softer since I weight only 150.

third, I am just about a midget so I made lowering links equal to kouba 3 and wonder if even if I raise the forks to the bars that will be enough since I have heard the length of the kx's are longer. can I get shorter springs? I'll never be getting huge air so travel isn't as important as simply having a responsive front end.

Thanks,

Joe
Dallas Longhorn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dallas Longhorn »

Hey Joe, 175.00 seems like a pretty good deal to me... as far as lowering your bike, I'm only 5'7" and I have lowering links and shaved my seat down which actually made the biggest difference in height. Seat is still nice and comfortable too. It's so much easier to ride when you can touch the ground! I used kx250 forks which are stiffer than 125's, but I weigh 165. I think you'll be happy with the stock feel of those forks at your weight. I would definitely try them before you made huge investment changing the springs etc...
casola
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by casola »

awesome. was the difference like night and day. even though they are not inverted?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I used a set of KX 250 forks and even with them just about up to the bars and stock height in the back the front went up about 1/8" so you may need to change the way the rear sits to get the geometry back to where it should be. Cutting the seat is probably the best option.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

cutting the seat is not gonna solve the geometry issue, unless I misread your post or i'm missing something. It will however let your feet touch the ground.
casola
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by casola »

I've been hesistant about cutting the seat because Im afraid it will be like riding a trials bike and too far down in the saddle. Would it be a bad move to take an inch or two out of the springs?

If im on my tippy toes will cutting the seat make as big of a difference as the kouba 3's? and how uncomfortable will the seat be. I plan to ride a pretty good distance on the road.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I wouldn't cut the spring, might be a bit too involved. Shaving the seat shouldn't be that complicated (there is a link posted from wibby somewhere on this site), and if you don't like it, you can always shave some more. I'm sure a inch shaved off would help a lot.
You should be on your tippy toes anyway, if you're new to riding then yes shave the seat a bit more to get use to riding and build your confidence.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Dallas Longhorn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dallas Longhorn »

Kx 250 forks indeed ARE inverted and yes HUGE difference! I cut a lot off the seat and still very comfortable too! I love this bike now. Mine is a '95 too and I didn't ever really enjoy riding it before the fork conversion and lowering it. It's a must in my opinion!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:cutting the seat is not gonna solve the geometry issue, unless I misread your post or i'm missing something. It will however let your feet touch the ground.
What I meant was he will probably need to put the suspension back to stock (take out the lowering links) and try cutting the seat to get his seat hight back down and get the bikes ride height back to about were it should be. I probably should have put that in the original post.