KX Fork Years

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KX Fork Years

Post by m0rie »

Are KX forks before 96 worth getting? I know 89 forward were cartridge instead of damper rod forks, but aside from the forks getting larger (internal size) is there any reason not to get a set 89-95 forks over a 96+ set? Ideally i'd buy as new as possible if I was going to do the conversion but cost factors in here and it seems that the older stuff is cheaper.

Any thoughts?

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Actually 1988 and newer are cartridge style. As best I can tell from first hand experience with '95 and newer KDX forks, plus the pretty pictures in the 1988 KX125/KX250/KX500 service manual, the '95 and newer KDX forks and the '88 KX forks are extremely similar.

A set of 43mm USD forks will have less flex than 43mm conventional forks.

Check, re-check and triple check http://www.buykawasaki.com to see what matches up with what.

Any year that you buy may need bushings, seals, fresh oil and/or correct spring rate for your weight. Generally these parts cost the same for various years. For example, it would cost about the same to refurbish/rebuild a set of 1989 forks as it would a set of 2004 forks. The older they are, the greater the chance that they are worn or worn out. Of course, some people can destroy parts. motors, etc. in 5 minutes, so keep that in mind as well.

Since you have damper rod forks right now (I think you still have the stock forks, right?), then any cartridge fork swap would be better, even a swap to '95 and newer KDX forks.

The main thing seems to be the initial cost for the parts, as the refurbishing costs are similar (even including front wheel bearings, rims, spokes, rotor, brake fluid, pads, caliper and master cylinder parts, brake hose, etc.). I guess spend as much as you can up front as any additional costs will be similar, but older ones have a greater chance to have worn out parts. Not guaranteed, but the odds are against it.

Good luck with it no matter what you choose!

EDITED for clarity
Last edited by Anonymous on 11:12 pm Oct 13 2005, edited 2 times in total.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Jason= Out parts research guy! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Stock forks with 7wt oil and .40kg XR400 springs. It seems silly to me to dump $150 into buying a pair of goldvalve cartridge emulators when I could get a pair of KX forks instead. Its still a ways out but i'm watching and waiting...trying to get a good idea of what the price that the various pieces go for. I did find out that i'll have to use the KX caliper, the 89 KDX caliper doesn't look like it will mount up to the KX forks.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I got 03 KX250 forks with gold valves, racetech springs, emig top clamp, pro taper bars, front wheel, axle / spacers all for $250US minus shipping (just don't ask what shipping cost :shock: ). You should be able to find something nice and cheap if you take your time. Good luck and happy hunting.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I've been watching KX forks for several months now on E-Bay. I still am for a buddy of mine. A pair of good forks that need nothing done to them are going from between $170 to alittle over $200 for just the forks. Some have clamps some don't.

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I think winter is the best time to buy...seems that is the time for deals. Got mine for $220 shipped. 03's with triples. No wheel though. I will keep my eye out for ya though Jon! :cool:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Thanks, the one set I seen with triples went for about that same price. Couple years older though.

I think your right, winter is a good time to find deals. My buddy is'nt dead set on converting yet because he wants to let his yougest boy have his ols KDX200 and he wants to get a newer bike..... porb a KTM. These other guys we ride with must have stock in KTM cause they try to convert everyone over to KTM's,but not me. I converted my front end over instead and now they have to deal with my KDX. :wink:

Jon.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yeah, I can't see spending $150 on the Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators when you can get the real thing (cartridge forks instead of cartridge emulators) for not a whole lot more.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to swap over? What areas of performance or design do you not like about your current forks?

Good luck on searching.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I've been playing with the clickers, fork oil and springs and i've gotten the front end to be a whole lot better than it was when I started. But after riding bikes with newer suspension I realize how much better it could be. So it seems the next step would be to change out the front end so I can keep tweaking it. I'm in no rush, so i'll wait until I can get a good deal on all the pieces. Just another thing for the list! :lol:

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think we all have a list. :lol: Again, good luck on the parts search.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Jason wrote:I think we all have a list. :lol:
I call it "THE LIST".....

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
John Cena

Post by John Cena »

Hi guys! I have a couple questions. I know it says that 1991 will bolt on with no stem swap. What If I had 1991 triple clamps and 93 forks? Will the 93 forks work with the 91 triple clamp?

Also Is this info valid for a 1992 KDX 200?

Thanks all!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

John - I think the 91 clamps and the 93 forks should play nice together and should work well with your 92 KDX.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Yooooohooooo Jason....... :lol:

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

KAY DEE EXER, until I win the lottery and can buy one of each, test fit them all together and report back, the best I can say is:

buykawasaki.com :grin:

EDIT:: Trevor, the matrix is complicated. (VISA business card commercial with the red, blue and green strings) :mrgreen:
John Cena

Post by John Cena »

Does anyone know if the triple clamp from a 2005 kdx 200 is a direct bolt on to the 92 kdx 200?
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Don't forget to check your local independant motorcycle shops also. Everyone seems to look to E-Bay (me too) but my very best deals have been from a small mom and pop place that services and repairs bikes.

End of season racers needing total rebuilds sometimes just basically dump their stuff without regard to loss. Of course a lot of them are buying their bikes for cost to start with and contingency money is only good for up to a two year old bike.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Cena, I think morie has one on his 1989 KDX200, so I would think it will fit.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
Jason wrote:Cena, I think morie has one on his 1989 KDX200, so I would think it will fit.
Indeed I do. It makes a big difference in the ergo's department. You can switch the bar clamps to the forward position and gain about 3/4" of space. Really helps to get the bars out of your lap like they are stock. The top clamp is a straight bolt on to the 89-92 KDX's.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E