Odo and brake cable routing

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
ditton

Odo and brake cable routing

Post by ditton »

Hi all.
Finally have my 03 kx125 froks and just now starting the conversion over to my 03 kdx220. I plan on sending out clamps and KDX axle to RB for modification
One of the things I can't seem to find is any info or pics on how person's have run the brake cable and odometer cable (when using KDX axle mod/wheel).
Just looking for some suggestions or pictures
Thanks in advance
Ditton
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I have not "finished" the odo routing yet so I am not sure how that is going to go but I took a piece of aluminium and bent it to about 90Deg and cut down the one side to fit into the stock KDX brake line clamp. I used the stock upper KDX brake line guide and the stock KX lower brake line guide. The fork guard will hit the stock KDX lower guide if you use it instead of the KX guide. Some have used it and had no problems but if you measure the travel you will see that it will hit by a fare amount.
I'm assuming that you are using the KDX brakes. :partyman:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

If you need more or better pictures I can probably get some.
ditton

Post by ditton »

Thanks rbates, anything you can share would be great.
On my 03 KX125 fork guards the brake line clamp is at the bottom of the fork/guard...I assume from originally running brake line under shock and up into clamp and through clamp midway at shock/guard holder.
I think my KDX brake line is to short to put in KX clamp at bottom of fork, will need to try and if not then some modification.
For the odo cable, I was thinking of also putting a KX brake clamp on right fork guard near bottom and putting on a guard holder (same as left side holder) to keep odo line out front of forks.
Just some thoughts
If anyone has any other ideas, pics, pro's or cons it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Ditton
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You can run the KDX brake line the same way that it was run on the KDX. You will need to make a bracket out of something to rivet to the fork guard and then bolt the line clamp to about half way up the guard. When you get every thing mounted the brake line will have a memory of where it was on the KDX so just pull it over a little to mark where the clamp needs to be and mount your bracket to the guard and you should be set. I will be out in the garage today and I will try to get some pictures of what I have done. Also when you mount the odo drive to the KX forks the cable will already be pointing forward of the forks so mounting it toward the front of the guard may be the best option, I have not spent to much time getting that part where I want it yet. I still have mine around the inside of the fork but it seens to touch the spokes when the forks compress. Too much snow to ride any where but the ice so I don't know how it will work during normal riding.
ditton

Post by ditton »

Once again, thanks
I see what you are saying regarding the brake cable (KDX) and its memory. I also noticed in your picture above you seem to have "cut" the guide for the fork protector.....good idea!
I was really hoping to make use of the KX clamp at the bottom of the fork/guard, but the more I look......I don't think it can happen.
I still have lotsa time as I am also under snow so biking and mods/maint are still a little way away...way too cold in garage to work, but doing what I can. Just trying to get all the "ducks in a row" before I get right into it.
Any other pics you may have showing how you mounted the clamp to guard would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ditton