Its all done.....

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Dallas Longhorn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Its all done.....

Post by Dallas Longhorn »

For anyone nervous (as I was) about doing the fork conversion...JUST DO IT!!! Very easy, only took me a total of 4 hours INCLUDING fixing the 2 bolts I broke and figuring out the cable routing, which was the hardest part! I used '97 Kx 500 triples, '98 Kx 250 forks and a '97 Kx125 front wheel. This bike is awesome now! Just wish I wouldn't have waited so long to do it... thanks to KDXrider for all the guidance too!

http://s1089.photobucket.com/albums/i35 ... t=KDX2.jpg
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i35 ... 1/KDX3.jpg
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i35 ... dlight.jpg
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Congrats !

Now go rip the woods a new one :cool:
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Looks good.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

you need to modify the hose routing cuz you'll snap the piece of plastic on the 1st jump.
you may want to raise the tube in the fork clamp too to level the bike, unless you like having a unstable wheely machine
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Dallas Longhorn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Thanks Ihatefalling... and you know I'd love me some woods but Im surrounded by desert out here in Az!
And Scheckaet- I've hit some pretty good sized jumps with no breakage and the best part is NO OVER THE BARS like usual!!! So I'm completely happy with the angle/rake now, but thanks for lookin' out for me! :rolleyes:
ditton

Post by ditton »

Hi there.
How would one suggest re-routing the brake cable as shown. Looks tight.
I think I may run into the same problem when doing the conversion (waiting for KX125 forks to get here)
I know to have the shocks a little higher in the clamps (so that will give some slack) to give the same riding geometry. I had planned on taking some measurements before tear down and mounting KX shocks to give same/approx numbers
Routing of both brake and odo cables is something I have yet to see. If anyone knows of any links/pictures showing...

Much appreciated
Ditton
Dallas Longhorn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

I've owned the bike for 15 years now and could never stand the way it felt, almost like I was too on top of it, which I was. I've had at least 10 "over the bars" since I've owned it. Maybe the fact that I only ride in the desert has something to do with it. I've been out riding 5 times since the new forks and absolutely love the way it feels/handles now.
Dallas Longhorn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Brake line tight...I think that means GOOD! The odometer is definitely missed, guess one less cable to worry about routing!