Front end swap brake compatibility

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Greenbandit200

Front end swap brake compatibility

Post by Greenbandit200 »

So I spent a lot of time searching the threads on this site as well as other sites and even went to Rocky mountain and similar sites to get the info I needed, but I couldn't even get a part number for the front caliper. I am wondering if any of the KX (preferably 250/125 only because availability on very good condition units) brake calipers interchange? I know the hub and rotor will need to match the forks, but I would like to keep the caliper if I could. It is in excellent condition. It is for my 97 kdx200. Look forward to hearing about all your suggestions and comments. Thanks guys
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Front end swap brake compatibility

Post by ericr »

When you say, "...keep the caliper", are you talking about the KDX caliper? If so, I went through this same experience - the 'KDX caliper will not fit (edit: except your '97 caliper will fit 95-96 kx125-kx250) The mounting bracket was the same, but the caliper was completely different. I ordered a used KX caliper for my '98 KX250 forks off ebay for $20. A rebuild kit and pads were under $30 from Rocky Mountain. Try Partzilla to look up the caliper PN for your year of forks. When you click on the PN for the front brake assembly, you will get a list of all the years and models that use that PN.
Last edited by ericr on 05:41 pm Sep 25 2018, edited 2 times in total.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread
Greenbandit200

Post by Greenbandit200 »

Yes I meant the KDX caliper. I knew I would have to run a new axle and hub that matches the front end as well as rotor being a different size and bolt patterns, but I thought that the caliper May bolt on the new front end possibly depending on year of KX Forks. The KDX caliper is in great condition and may just list it with the old front end on cr or eBay to help offset the cost of the new front end. It's going to take a dent out the the pocket book as I am going to have the KX front end lowered, sprung, and valved by a professional. I am going to attempt to perform the stem swap myself. I'm not sure about the spacer thought?
ericr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ericr »

One alternative to all of this is to buy the axle conversion from RB Designs (if Ron is still in business). This allows you to use the complete wheel and caliper setup from the KDX. I had RB Designs do my stem swap. Ron ships it back with a beautifully made bushing to shim the difference in diameter and space the correct height for the upper clamp. Others have used shim stock from hobby shops for shimming. You'll also need to have a bushing to raise the height. Search the fork conversion forum for more info.
'02 KDX 200, '02 KDX 220 - My restoration thread
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

FWIW, my 1999 KDX caliper bolted right up on my 2001 KX 250 forks. That allowed me to use the KDX brake line as well so I could route the line behind the fork instead of under the kx fork.
Last edited by doakley on 04:26 pm Sep 26 2018, edited 1 time in total.
tropicoz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tropicoz »

Depending on the year of forks, the caliper will most times be a direct swap. I have a 2003 KX125 front end on my 2001 KDX and the front caliper was a direct fit.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The kdx and kx front calipers swap over, depending on years. You didn't say what year forks you are using, so our ability to answer your question is limited.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Greenbandit200

Post by Greenbandit200 »

Well I haven't bought the forks yet. This Thread was to determine what year forks I purchase to make sure my caliper fits new kx forks. Just trying to save one step since this will be a long process. I'm doing a complete Restoration and fork conversation, all the way down to swapping out nuts, bolt, and hardware to stainless.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Get a front end from an 04 or newer bike with show forks, I believe that Honda had them. Just make sure to get the whole front end including wheel, as you should do with any fork swap. You'll love those forks on the kdx.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type