Neoprene Seal Savers?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Nelsonboys

Neoprene Seal Savers?

Post by Nelsonboys »

Does anyone use Neoprene Seal Savers instead of the factory fork boots? I used to use them on CRF's 10 years ago and I never really paid attention to KDX's back then.

Advise? Suggestions?

Thanks folks!
Dave B
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Neoprene Seal Savers?

Post by Dave B »

Not the neoprene type but I was trolling around the inter webs yesterday and came across these (see link), came on KTM's in the mid 90's. May work on the KDX forks with some modifications. Not sure if I like the look or not but it is growing on me..... more pieces to fly off when you yard sale it!!!

dualsportalchemy.com/2014/01/ktm-fork-protector-conversion-d
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Neoprene Seal Savers?

Post by John_S »

I didn't use them on the KDX forks but if i did it would be Shock Sox brand (with velcro straps) so you could take them off easily for cleaning. Some brands you have to take the forks off and slide them down from the top. Others zip which I've read can be hard to zip up.
The_Drew

Neoprene Seal Savers?

Post by The_Drew »

I have rubber gaiters on my kdx, but I use sealsavers on my wr400. They keep the seals clean, but as John said: they are a pain to remove for cleaning. I haven't tried the brand he spoke of.
cornishwrecker220

Neoprene Seal Savers?

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

I use the "seal savers" on my kdx , although I did the KX fork conversion the Seal savers do a great job of keeping crud off the fork legs & ensuring the seals stay protected too .....the longer Seal savers also protect the fork legs from stone Chips which can tear the fork seals in time , definitely worth the money especially if you have done the KX conversion ..
On the standard KDX forks the gator type protectors probably look better but work just as well.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Neoprene Seal Savers?

Post by SS109 »

Seal savers work but make sure you clean them after every ride just like the rest of the bike. Otherwise the grit that gets underneath them will start acting like sandpaper on your fork tubes.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Neoprene Seal Savers?

Post by thirdgenlxi »

SS109 wrote:Seal savers work but make sure you clean them after every ride just like the rest of the bike. Otherwise the grit that gets underneath them will start acting like sandpaper on your fork tubes.
Truth!! They work awesome for keeping the junk out of the seals, but definitely gotta take them off and wash them. That's why I got the velro ones instead of the ones you have to take the forks out to get on and off. I just take them off and throw them in the washing machine with my gear, lol. Usually pop the little fork wipers down and wash all around in there. Keeps the seals and the tubes happy :supz:

Image2018-03-21_01-11-32 by Jared Penttinen, on Flickr
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Dude.

How old is that tire?? :shock:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Jason wrote:Dude.

How old is that tire?? :shock:
LOL it's getting up there.... I put it on June 11th. Definitely gonna replace it here soon.... it's on my list, had to get a few other things first. Actually still grips surprisingly well though :lol: These M59's defintely hold up a lot better than the Golden Tyre I had on there before..... It barely lasted 2 months and had chunked all the side knobs off. My buddy but the same tire on his KTM 150 around the same time and it did the exact same thing in about the same time span
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Are you running low pressure??
It looks like tires ran with a flat.
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Jason wrote:Are you running low pressure??
It looks like tires ran with a flat.
I usually run about 6-8 psi
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

thirdgenlxi wrote:These M59's defintely hold up a lot better than the Golden Tyre I had on there before..... It barely lasted 2 months and had chunked all the side knobs off. My buddy but the same tire on his KTM 150 around the same time and it did the exact same thing in about the same time span
Weird. I'm on a Goldentyre "Fatty" that I put on last April and you can barely tell it has any wear.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

SS109 wrote:
thirdgenlxi wrote:These M59's defintely hold up a lot better than the Golden Tyre I had on there before..... It barely lasted 2 months and had chunked all the side knobs off. My buddy but the same tire on his KTM 150 around the same time and it did the exact same thing in about the same time span
Weird. I'm on a Goldentyre "Fatty" that I put on last April and you can barely tell it has any wear.
I think the Fattys hold up a little better, it seems. I just had the regular GT216AA. Read lots of good things about the Fatty, but if you look up reviews and forum posts on the regular GT216AA pretty much every one of them They say all the side knibs chunked off. Apparently it was a problem with the rubber compound and curing time
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

6-8?? No wonder. When you get "tired" of buying tires, increase pressure.