Swingarm maintenece

A service reference
ditton

Swingarm maintenece

Post by ditton »

Hi all.
This upcoming off season I plan to service the swingarm and rear suspension bottom end of my '03 220 after reading that these points should not be overlooked.
First off, never done or attempted this before. I do have a manual and are somewhat mechanically inclined so is this something that I should be able to do.
Second, any pointers to make it go painlessly.
Should I just replace all bearing or can they simply just re-packed with grease. If so, what grease do you recommend.
Are all the bearings in question remove/replace by hand or are there any that need to be done using a press.
Any help would be greatly appreciated by this somewhat newbie.

Thanks
Ditton
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Not hard, you'll need a small press or a C clamp.
You can clean them up and see what the grease looks like (if it still has some).
if they look ok, re-grease with some good thick bearing grease. I used to get the cheapo grease from local hardware store, works fine but I tried the bell ray grease and will not go back to the cheapo stuff. That grease is THICK and last a lot longer, worth it.
I usually do that 2 times a year to inspect, clean and regrease. (on the cheapo stuff you should do it at least 3-4 times a year imo if you want the bearing to last)
If you get new bearings I always repack them with fresh grease, they don't put a whole lot in there.
the rear shock beraing are **** and there is a good chance they're shot, I'd order them too.
Watch out some kit don't have ALL the bearings you need.
ditton

Post by ditton »

Sorry to bring thread back to life, but.........
One more question as I am ready to order parts, but just wanted some opinions on bearings. I have noticed a few manufacturers other than OEM such as Moose, All Balls and Pivot Works. Sorry but can't find any info on one being better than the other, as I just want to buy a decent set without continually servicing them 5-6 times per year or constant failures.
Anyone have a Yes or No to any of these manufacturers.
Scheckaet- Thanks for the info on the Bel Ray. Looked into their water-proof grease and had good reviews.....finding dealer in area is hard so may need to order from site.

Thanks in advance for your input and/or advice, greatly appreciated.
Ditton
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

any of the above will be fine, some say all balls are junk, but that's what I used and can't say I had any trouble with them, the key imho with any of them is to clean them and repack with fresh grease 2 times a year (or more if you ride a lot in sand, mud...)
ditton

Post by ditton »

Sorry.....more questions.
In the manual it shows 2 bearings (4 total) on each side of the swingarm, one inside, one outside.
I am assuming that you press them out together (using socket) out of one side of the swingarm?????
and when installing, press them in from each side to the required depth.

IF the bearings look to be ok, do most people just regrease or pop them out, clean, grease and then re-install?

Thanks again, learning as I go
Ditton
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
ditton wrote:Sorry.....more questions.
In the manual it shows 2 bearings (4 total) on each side of the swingarm, one inside, one outside.
I am assuming that you press them out together (using socket) out of one side of the swingarm?????
and when installing, press them in from each side to the required depth.
YES and YES

IF the bearings look to be ok, do most people just regrease or pop them out, clean, grease and then re-install?
Yup on the re-grease and NO on removing them, not worth it, might as well put new one and not worry about it
Thanks again, learning as I go
Ditton
ditton

Post by ditton »

Thanks
Your help is greatly appreciated

Ditton