Different Rear Spring

A service reference
thedeatons

Different Rear Spring

Post by thedeatons »

Hey guys... I did a "rear spring" search, but couldn't find what I needed. I weigh 155 with street clothes on, so I am looking for XR400 springs and a different rear spring. I think I have found XR400 rear springs, which will help the front.

Question: Where are you guys getting different rear springs? FRPOffroad says I need a 4.8kg spring. Any recommendations?

Anyone have one for sale or happen to know which manufacturer to buy a new one from?

Thanks!
James
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

Is everyone out riding, or does no one know?

James
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The rear spring you have on it stock is good to 180#.... you may need to rebuild it though.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

Freddette's site says the stock spring is for 180-210lb riders.... ???
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You could go to a 4.8, but honestly, the stock 5.0 spring should do just fine for you as long as the shock is in good condition and you set the clickers and sag accordingly.
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

Just ordered some stuff from FRP today. Talked to Jeff and he was very helpful.

Gold Valves with shims set for my weight and riding style for the forks
OEM Kawasaki Fork Seals and Dust Seals
Race Tech rear spring for my weight

I also picked up a half price rear shock Gold Valve kit on Ebay, and have '96-99 XR400 fork springs on the way from another site (FREEBIE!)

Red Line Extra Lite oil will go in the rear shock
Red Line 7.5wt. oil will go in the forks (mix of 10wt. and 5wt.)

Should be an interesting difference. I may wait until winter to do it though. Not sure I want the down time during the summer....

James
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

Just got all the remaining rear shock parts in today and should be sending it off to my shock guy soon. He is rebuilding the shock for $30 (changing fluid, installing Gold Valve with Race Tech's custom shim stack settings, recharging nitrogen).

Should have some input on it soon. Still waiting on the XR400 fork springs.....

James
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Good DEAL! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That's a good price on the shock rebuild. I need to get mine done one of these days.
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

This guy from the XR forum just called me. 1999 XR400 fork springs are in the mail for $30!

I also just ordered every bearing and seal needed for the front hub, rear hub, swingarm, and linkage through CheapCycleParts.com. $214 shipped for everything. They were $35 cheaper than Ron Ayers!

I ordered the double-sealed lower shock bearing from McMaster-Carr as suggested by another forum member....

Looks like I have some work ahead of me.

James