Help spring swap!!

A service reference
chriszeee

Help spring swap!!

Post by chriszeee »

Need some help. I just replaced the front springs on my kdx 220 with a race tech 42 weight. The job seamed to go fairly simple...but now that its back together the front end sounds like a squeaky old bed..I reused all the stock parts and put in 5w fork oil. The noise sounds fairly high in the fork tube. I'm not to sure where to start to try and figure out why it makes this noise. On the stock forks I now notice that one end of the spring has a small washer type thing that clips onto the spring..Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Did you twist the fork tubes onto the cap or just screw the cap on. You should do the former or you will get what you have.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
chriszeee

Post by chriszeee »

I screwed the caps onto the tube. So i should take them apart and hold the cap still and twist the tubes onto the caps?
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

yeah, and you need to put that clip on the new springs too.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
chriszeee

Post by chriszeee »

does that clip go on the bottom or top side of the spring...I did not pay attention to that detail and the manual does not show it?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

On the bottom...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
chriszeee

Post by chriszeee »

Thanks guys..I let ya know how it goes...
chriszeee

Post by chriszeee »

I've taken them apart again and tried all the above mentioned and the shocks still sound like a pogo stick. I must be missing something here! I have cross referenced the numbers with race tech and they are the correct springs. not only do they sound like a pogo stick if your to shake the tubes you can here the springs rattling around inside.. I have even taken them to a mechanic and it has him baffled..he took them apart as well...arrgggg
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... it looks like you didn't make new spacers which is the only right way to do it since the length will be different.

A picture is worth a thousand words,
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

chriszeee

Post by chriszeee »

I used the stock spacers. I measured the stock 35 springs with the new 42s and they were exactly the same length so i figured i would use the stock parts. I will go over it again tomorow and double check everything.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Stock spacers have too much preload. You only want 5-8mm of preload on your springs.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****