93 KDX250 fork oil height?

A service reference
bikingreenie

93 KDX250 fork oil height?

Post by bikingreenie »

I bought a set of 1993 KDX250 forks, and triple clamps on ebay. I'm putting in new bushings and seals. After Googleing and calling the 2 dealers in town. I still haven't found the answer. WHAT IS THE RECOMMENDED OIL VOLUME FOR THESE FORKS? OR OIL HEIGHT?

Anyone out there have a manual? I think 1994 KDX250 and KDX 200 use the same forks.
exbee

Post by exbee »

I'd like to know this too...I'll be changing springs and oil in the same forks soon. I have the service manual but not the supplemental part for the USD forks.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's about average for ever bike out there... between 70 and 120mm using a fork oil height gauge with the forks completely compressed and the air purged.

If it feels too soft and bottoms out... add oil. Too firm...take some out.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
exbee

Post by exbee »

If I don't have a fork oil height gauge, can those measurements be taken by measuring from the oil level to the top of the fork tube? Or does the gauge measure differently?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's from the top... a piece of tube with a mark on it for height will work. The gauge is easy to make.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
exbee

Post by exbee »

Thanks, I made one of these guages in the past for conventional forks but wasn't sure if it was done differently on USDs.
exbee

Post by exbee »

I'm about to fill my forks with new 5wt oil tonight and try out my new Racetech springs. I think I may have gone a little too stiff with the springs but I'll have to wait 'till I ride it to know. Unfortunately they didn't have the correct rate for my weight. Does anyone have a recommended compression damping setting for the stock '93 USD forks on the 250 (or 200 at least)?