Spring rates and other questions

A service reference
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Spring rates and other questions

Post by SS109 »

I have had my KDX for about 6 months and have been wondering if I need to change the spring rates for my weight. However, I don't want to waiste money if I don't have to. The previous owner told me the original owner did some mods but I don't know if that included any suspension work.

I weigh in at 150 after a heavy lunch. I ride some tight desert single track and all the nasty stuff (deep sand washes, rocks, hardpack to silt) that comes with it. I would say I'm a C class rider at best. I ride really aggressive for my skill level but I know I'm not that good.

On to the questions! How can you tell what spring rate you have installed front/rear? I have the factory, conventional forks upfront.

Race Tech recommends a .40 spring up front. Isn't that a little stiff for a rider of my weight? I would think a .38 would be closer.

I read the sticky about using XR fork springs. If the 95+ springs work in the 89-92 bikes, and the XR springs work in the 95+ bikes, the XR springs should work on the 89-92 bikes, right? Sorry to be nuisance but it isn't specifically spelled out that way in the sticky and I want to be sure before I plunk down cash for springs.

EDIT:

BTW, if I were to decide to go the USD route, would a '93 KX125 setup work and would it be an improvement over the stock KDX legs?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Hello, anybody here?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Don't waste your time with USD older than 99. my .02 cents.
For your weight, stock spring should be fine, make sure your forks are clean, change the oil, re-charge shock...cover the basics