Can someone point me in the right direction?

A service reference
KDX220rser

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Post by KDX220rser »

ok guys im kinda new to this, so dont get to mad at me. I have a 02' 220 and im starting to notice the front end is starting to sag. The bike as never had the forks serviced, and i dont really know anyone that does this kinda stuff. I am pretty mechanically inclined so i think i can service them myself.. i been looking to find some help on what parts should i replace, and how to do it. I looked all over here but couldnt find a thread that i could understand. I am just wanting to do some stock parts replacements. Im 165lb so stock should work. can anyone point me in the right direction? I have never touched suspensions so i dont know what i need to get the KDX suckin up stumps again. thanks guys
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
03 Ozark (under construction)
1978 Honda NC50 (under construction)
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I would get a fork rebuild kit (seals, bushings and wipers) and some good oil. I would also recommend you go with stiffer springs out of an XR 400, .38's might be good for your weight. Read the threads on making your new preload spacers out of PVC.

The stock oil is like pond scum so you'll want to tear them down and clean thoroughly.

Harbor Freight carries a set of large hex drive sockets that will get your base valves out. An air wrench works great for that.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

Thanks Mike!! i will let you know how it goes. I plan on starting on this soon. But i thought the KDX springs were good up to 180lb rider? what year XR400 springs will fit in my bike?
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

check out this stickie from the Suspension category: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=448

The XR springs are longer which is a good thing. You'll ditch the long metal spacer tubes in the KDX and cut shorter PVC replacements.

I believe the stock KDX springs are more for a 130 lb rider, but it's a been a while since I had stock forks.
Mike

'04 KDX220
DirtBikeDad
Supporting Member

Post by DirtBikeDad »

Colorado Mike wrote:
I believe the stock KDX springs are more for a 130 lb rider, but it's a been a while since I had stock forks.
It's been even longer than that since I was 130lbs! :mrgreen:
DirtBikeDad
Jeremiah 29:11-13
"That's not flying, it's falling............with Style"
'99 Honda CR250R (Keith)
'99 Honda CR250R (Wilson 15)
'00 Yamaha YFM350 Warrior (Travis 13)
'90 Kawasaki 220 Bayou (Farm Toy)
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

THe bad part about that is the back is rated much higher. Balance is key.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Also check into messing with the shim stack. There is talk around here of folks removing some number of the large shims that seems to improve things. I never did that, but if you have the thing apart its a good time to try it.

Also if it's an '02 and the rear shock hasn't been touched, it's probably overdue. Check out the threads on doing that yourself too. you can buy a seal head or just the wear items and some oil, then you need to find a shop to charge the N2 for you. Grease all your linkage and swingarm bearings while you're at it.
Mike

'04 KDX220
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

ok guy thanks!! im still a little nervous to do this bc i have no experience with suspension. But i will try to work up some confidence to work on it. Thanks again everyone!
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid