02 KX Forks HELP!!!!!

A service reference
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

02 KX Forks HELP!!!!!

Post by it175 »

I am going to send my 02 KX forks to MX Tech in ILL when I have the $$ to do it. But in the meentime,I need some advice. :mrgreen:

When I went to LBL in april, alot of fork oil LEAKED out :shock: when my bike was cinched down on my trailer. ( That why they are going to be rebuilt :grin: ) From both sides. More from the left fork then the right. I would like to just flush and refill each fork with the proper wt and amount of oil. Until I can send them out.

So my ??? are:

1) Any one know the factory wt and level, or where I could look it up?
2) Would a wooden dowl work for a level gauge.
3) I would like to use kerosene to flush out tubes before putting the new oil in. Or is there a different/better method to clean them out.

THANKS!!! :supz:
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

ANYONE! :shock: :shock: :prayer:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Probably around 7 wt and between 95 and 140mm

A level guage can be made out of just about anything but one that works should have a tube so excess fluid can be extracted.

Kero is fine.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

Thanks!!! Inda.
I don't want to take anything apart :prayer: other than the top fork caps. Do you know IF, I will be able to drain and flush the forks by doing just the top cap route.

So in other words, Will I be able to get "ALL" the fluid out of the forks, by that method. Both oil and kerosene.

I'm thinking that the seals in the forks are somewhat "terminal", based on the last few days. :sad:
Last edited by it175 on 08:24 pm May 25 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes you can drain and refill through the top of the forks... but they will have to be removed from the bike to do that. And while draining, cleaning and refilling you will have to remember to pump the rod to get the fluid all through the forks to get the fluid drained completely, the kero all through the system, the kero out and a good level on the oil.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

INDA..... You ARE "THE MAN" :supz: :partyman:

Thanks MUCH!!!