Air tanks/reservoir tanks for forks

A service reference
MXOldtimer

Air tanks/reservoir tanks for forks

Post by MXOldtimer »

On my last race bike or when I was race'n heavy I made a pair of air tanks for the forks on my YZ-280F.
They were very easy and cheap to make but, setting the forks up were a pain in the ass. The extra air volume and getting the oil height correct was a major pain and time consuming process.
Add a few CC's of oil and ride, take notes. Add a few more CC's and so on and so on. Adding and subtracting oil height until I got the best set of forks I'd ever had on a bike.

Matter of fact the guy that bought the bike, I saw him a month or so a go and he'd bought a new CR250F and said he hated getting rid of the YZF because the forks were so good and the best suspended bike he'd ever ridden/raced. He asked me to set him up air tanks on the CRF and play with his CRF suspension.......I declined.

The thing that I loved about the air tanks set up was the forks settled into turns so nice, the forks just settled down hooked the front tire and you could really power through turns. But they would take big hits and wouldn't bottom. When I first did the tanks I was worried about the forks settling in turn so much that they might bottom on big hits but it didn't happen.

Look'n at the KX-125'r forks on the KDX yesterday and I think I might start play'n with'm.
This time I'll have a better understanding on setting the the forks up for air tanks.

Time to go to the paintball store for braided air lines this week. LOL
04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

How I interpret this post:
MXOldtimer wrote:I'm going to make sub-tanks for the KX forks on my KDX for the best ride ever. When I get'em figgered out, I'll post my parts list, valve setups and oil levels so ya'll can benefit from all my selfless hard work!!

STAY TUNED!!

...right?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

Went to the Paintball shop after work for braided airlines and they were no more. Another business bites the dust.
04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.