03 fork dissasembly

A service reference
bullittman281

03 fork dissasembly

Post by bullittman281 »

Hello,
Bullittman here. I've acquired a complete 03 KX125 front end and I need some help. I'm trying to pull them all the way apart so I can clean all the sludge out of them. So far I have gone where no man has gone before. You should have seen the "oil" that glopped out. Other than seals every thing looks good. The part I'm having problems with is pulling the push rod out of the inned cartridge tube. The instruction in the sticky show unscrewing the guide stay nut. I don't have a guide stay nut, just a crimped on little deal. I've spent all evening studying the thing and I cant figure out what it does other than keep you from pulling the cartridge apart. Does that thing even serve a purpose or is it just to help assembly? If I cut it off and leave it off is it going to cause me problems? For now I'm not gonna mess with the valving untill I try it out first. I just want to pull it all the way apart and clean it up. If somebody knows what that little thing does and if I can remove it please let me know.

Bullittman
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'I don't have a guide stay nut, just a crimped on little deal.'

How did you take the spring guide off?

Gohere.

If that link doesn't work, go to ronayers.com, select OEM microfiche and your bike, fork..

See 92210? It holds on 44028..the spring guide.

The 'crimped on littel deal' you're referring I could guess to be the stop that is three pieces threaded onto the rod and held in place by a split ring...but the '03 diagram says you don't have that.

SO...I don't know what part you're referring to...but you DO have a fork spring guide nut.

I guarandamtee you don't want to be cutting off ANYthing in your fork(s)!!

I am referencing your question to my forks..('99 KX250) which are NOT the same as yours. The diagram on the '99s clearly shows 92210 to be a nut that holds on the guide. The '03 diagram is not that clear.

Inda's forks are.....what?

'03s is what I'm sayin. So...ask HIM! He hangs around this board a fair bit. :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Bulitt,

I too am unclear on what exactly you are disassembling. I have '03 forks as well. I ran into a huge amount of trouble trying to get at my midvalve, which is mounted on the damper rod but hidden inside the inner tube (none of these terms are probably what a suspension guy would use). I believe there is a part threaded into that tube that is then "permanently" loctited in place. Post a picture of what you are working on and maybe we can help more.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

oh, and read this.. http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... light=fork

Unfortunately, my pictures appear to be gone. but see if the text rings a bell with what you are up against. Oh, and if you don't update us, CC is going to begin pulling out your nose hairs one at a time with his surgical grade post-hole digger.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Some forks do have the rod going through a cap that threads into the cartridge..03's might be summa those.

You can tell if you have such by looking at the top of the cartridge. The different metal of the piece threaded in will be evident..and there will be stakes in the cartridge tube INTO the threaded portion of the cap that need to be removed (preferably using an end mill).

Put some heat on the assembly (with the stakes removed) and it will come apart fairly easily.

A large degree of care need be taken if holding the cartridge tube in a vise. No scratches, dings, dents, goobers, scrapes, mars, OR milky ways are permissable.

...it may be a surgical instrument...but it don't fit in my autoclave, so be forewarned!

Consider the source

bullittman281

Post by bullittman281 »

Hello,
Bullittman here. My forks do not have the screw together 2 piece retainer. It is just crimped on. However, the end of the cartridge indeed looks like it screws together. I do not have a cartridge holding tool but i was able to wedge a pair of screwdrivers in there to try and turn the end piece. Mine is not staked in but I got it as hot as I dare and turned as hard as I dare and nothing happened. For now I'm just gonna leave it put until I can get the proper tools.
looking at the retainer all I can figure that it does is keep the spring guide at the top of the push rod. I'm curious if I can either get the 2 piece retainer or if a snap ring would accomplish the same thing, thus making it removable. A buddy of mine has a buddy that that can work on suspension. I may hit him up and see if his buddy can help me out. But for now I'm just gonna try to get the swap completed first.
Thanks guys.

Bullittman
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'My forks do not have the screw together 2 piece retainer'

Understood.

92210 is listed as a 'nut', and in the '03 diagram it is on top of the guide and is a removeable part.

Maybe you don't have '03 forks? Because someone where you got them from said they were don't make it so.

'Wedging' tools in the cartridge holes can't be a good thing. There are some fine threads in there the base valve needs to screw into!

Good luck!

Consider the source

bullittman281

Post by bullittman281 »

Hello,
How do I find out what year the forks are? All I have to go by is what the seller said. I am assuming they knew what was going on but I'm not sure. As far as wedging stuff into the cartridge, thats why I stopped! I need the proper tools. Some thing else worthy of noting, the push rod for the adjuster on the top cap is one piece, not 2 pieces like the online instructions. I don't know if that means anything or not. Let me know if there is some sort of proof as to what year the forks are.

Thanks

Bullittman
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I don't know KYB forks in general. I know mine ('99). The differences between this and that year? I couldn't tell you.

Some pics might help to identify them (can't post pics as an unsubscribed 'member' far as I know).

The '99 rebound rod is a single piece.

Do your forks match the above linked diagram?

Fork diameter is one way to determine groups of KYB manufacture dates. What's yours?

Did you read the thread Mike linked to above? One of the points made there in regard to the 'clip' seems to apply to your forks. ..also the disassembly method.

Something like THIS may be well worth your while.

Consider the source

bullittman281

Post by bullittman281 »

hello,
The fork tube is 48MM. The link above talks about the same problem I have and those being '03 forks. When it comes time for a revalve I'm gonna have to either by tools or get professional help. Trouble is the budget is small. tomorrow is finals at school and then after that I will have time to work on the bike. If everything goes as described online this weekend I will have the swap completed. I'll update what I accomplish.

Thanks guys
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

'03 does fit into the 48mm category.

Good luck!

Consider the source