What weight oil do you guys run in the KDX conventional fork

A service reference
Little Jeff

What weight oil do you guys run in the KDX conventional fork

Post by Little Jeff »

I was curious as to what weight oil you guys run in your conventional forks? I was thinking 10weight to help with rebound, but I could be wrong.
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

It's been a while since I had the conventionals, so I could be wrong, but I thought the stock oil was 5 wt, and I changed it to 7.5 to be mo bettah. I wasn't real happy with the result. I think changing viscosity is probably harder to deal with tuning wise, than changing the valving to arrive at what you want. Suspension makes a big difference in how happy you are with teh bike, so I would recommend getting some professional help. If this is the stock oil in the forks though, you could probably change to ranch dressing and notice a huge improvement.

Changing over to USD forks made me feel stupid for even messing with the stock ones though.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

Unfortunately I don't have the money for USD forks, going to have to make due I guess. I do have a professional helping me with it now.
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

well then start with getting the right springs for your weight. I've heard a lot of guys remove one of the big shims from the compression damper. I never tried that. I would ditch the massive preload spacer and go with the longer XR400 springs. make your own preload spacers out of PVC pipe.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220