Need some conventional help

A service reference
thebleakness

Need some conventional help

Post by thebleakness »

I've been meaning to tear apart my forks (stock conventionals) and put new oil in them. I'm not sure though how too on these. I can take apart my showas with my eyes closed. I don't have a service manual for the KDX so I don't have anything to refer too. Is there a guide somewhere floating around?

What would you guys suggest to start out oil level for a 150lb rider in rocks/roots/sand? I have gold valves in them right now and they seem extremely harsh over rocks (bounces alot) is there something else that could be going on (clickers don't seem to be helping much).
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

if you go to racetech you can put in you info and get specs on oil levels weights etc. I would try going to a lighter viscosity oil or try a lower oil level which will leave extra room for a greater volume of air which will compress where as the oil will not. Who stacked your valves? what rate springs? you should be ok with the stockers at 150lbs.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
TopperHarley wrote:if you go to racetech you can put in you info and get specs on oil levels weights etc. I would try going to a lighter viscosity oil or try a lower oil level which will leave extra room for a greater volume of air which will compress where as the oil will not. Who stacked your valves? what rate springs? you should be ok with the stockers at 150lbs.
If it is "bouncing" you want to got to heavier oil to stiffen the rebound OR change the rebound shims for more control. If your "deflecting" off the rocks then shim changes to the BV and lighter oil and increase air gap (less oil) are the normal things to consider. Rocks are tough to valve for and keep a bike able to handle higher vehicle speed garbage. Rocks larger than 5-6 inches will typically be involving you second stage (high speed) shim stack FWIW. Agree with the quoted advice with the exception of the oil viscosity - but I bet your statement should have read deflection through the rocks which would make Topper Harley's advice 100% good. IMO and all that garbage. :prayer: :supz:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine