shock

A service reference
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

shock

Post by scheckaet »

I finally removed my shock for servicing this w-e and I have to say the longest and hardest part was removing the shock from the bike :evil: .
The shock itself is fairly easy to take apart, clean, inspect...If I can do it, anybody can. I found out there was about 1/2 lb of presure and the oil looked like old coffee :?
Now my question, can you use the same oil for forks and shocks? (5w)

Other thing, I think I inverted the ring snap :evil:, I checked on the part diagram and the part differs only by 1 letter. Anyone knows if 1 is smaller than the other? I assume it is but anybody can confirm?
Thanks
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Yes, the snap rings are different, ask me how I know.....One is larger than the other and will not fit in the other spot. I *think* the bladder clip is the bigger one.

Yea, 5w is fine.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

And how do U know? :mrgreen:
I think you're right, I was really unsure I put them the way they came cuz I remembered the gap on the shock was "bigger" so I took it apart again tonight to check the rings and they seem inverted from what I remembered and what you tell me.
I'll swap em again and pray it's the right way when I refill the shock :blink:
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Service the swingarm & rocker bearings while you have the shock out. Also, install the shock before the swingarm..It goes RIGHT IN
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
Green Hornet wrote:Service the swingarm & rocker bearings while you have the shock out. Also, install the shock before the swingarm..It goes RIGHT IN
I did that this winter, it still looks good.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

The bladder ring is the bigger one, in my case that one is black, the main body one is dull silver. Also the manual tells you to release the nitrogen pressure via the shrader valve, then neglects to tell you the shock is still under pressure from the bladder. if you crack the oil drain valve like they say, you spray oil all over you, the wife's blanket draped over the ladder in the garage, your bandsaw, and your golden retriever.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

If I may ask . . . does everyone repressurize with N2 (nitrogen)? Anybody try air? Air is approx 79% N2 anyway . . .
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

yes you may :wink:
I did once when i did not have any N2 on hand, and it worked pretty well.
The air will expand as you ride making the suspension harder.
I believe the major problem is if you leave it for long period of time, it'll oxidize the internal parts (I read that somewhere :hmm: ) but in a jam it'll work better than nothing at all :wink:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

Thanks scheckaet.

I wonder what would get oxidized and how . . .

Nitrogen is an inert gas and wouldn't break down the bladder or any other internal pieces.

RE: Expansion . . the shock oil is pretty much non-compressible so what would happen is the pressure inside the bladder (when the gas inside gets hotter) will rise and the force required to partially collapse it (shock compression) will be greater. That will be true with any ideal gas - nitrogen pressure WILL increase with temperature increase, and the pressure increase will be similar to air.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!