Fork Tube Stuck

A service reference
TheGriz
Supporting Member

Fork Tube Stuck

Post by TheGriz »

I'm rebuilding my 03 220 forks tonight. New springs from Race Tech, seals, and dust caps. I also changed the preload to 10mm to start with. I may go lower, but wanted to start with this.

Anyway, I have the right side fork done. When I was pulling the left side fork tube up to pop out the oil seal, the fork tube seems to be wedged or bound up and it won't move.

I applied some heat (heat gun) and used a rubber hammer, but it only seems to be stuck worse. I'm a little afraid of breaking out the torch.

Any tips?
1987 KDX 80
1991 KDX 200
2005 GasGas EC250
2011 GasGas EC300
2008 KTM 300
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Fork Tube Stuck

Post by KDXGarage »

Did you remove the circlip?

Is it required to remove the cartridge first?

If all else is fine, bent or damaged tube.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
TheGriz
Supporting Member

Post by TheGriz »

By circlip, you mean the clip that retains the dustcap and seal? If so, yes.

1. Unscrewed the fork cap
2. Removed the preload spacer/spring and spring washers
3. Removed the retaining clip
4. Popped out the dust cap
5. Slid the fork tube up to pop out the seal. Everything went according to plan. Removed the seal.

This is where it got stuck. I'm not sure if the bushings that the fork tube rides on got wedged in there or what? There really isn't anything else to jam up.

I was wondering about a bent tube as well, but I'm not sold on that, since the bend would have to be very far down in the stanchion, where the bending forces would be a lot lower.

I started reading some threads about using heat... I'll try that again today, and maybe get a little more aggressive. Either way, I found the left fork only on ebay for $25. So whatever I try will be a low risk attempt, considering I have the new seals and spring to rebuild a spare.
1987 KDX 80
1991 KDX 200
2005 GasGas EC250
2011 GasGas EC300
2008 KTM 300
TheGriz
Supporting Member

Fork Tube Stuck

Post by TheGriz »

I threaded the fork cap back onto the tube and clamped the end into the vice. Any scratches to the tube will be up in the triple clamps and not impacting the oil seals.

Then, I used the heat gun (not the torch) on the stanchion for about 15 minutes and got it good and warm. I used a hammer on the caliper bracket and gave it a number of heavy whacks to fully extend the fork tube. It finally popped free. When it did, the bushing came out too.

I've never explored a fork before, but it looks like there is a groove machined into the fork tube to keep the bushing in place. I suppose it was splayed open and slid out of it's seat.

Now I need to figure out how to separate the fork tube from the stanchion. and inspect what is going on in there. How do I keep the internals from spinning when I turn the hex bolt on the bottom?

1987 KDX 80
1991 KDX 200
2005 GasGas EC250
2011 GasGas EC300
2008 KTM 300
TheGriz
Supporting Member

Fork Tube Stuck

Post by TheGriz »

Just an update. Since I'm a rookie, I figured another rookie might someday be in the same boat and need the information.

You can buy a tool to hold the inner assembly while you remove the hex bolt on the bottom of the fork. You can also try an impact to see if it will come out without the internals spinning (no luck for me).

I welded a large nut to the end of a tube. Slid it inside the fork and held the internals from spinning.

I had it all apart and cleaned. Just need to reassemble.

Thanks.
1987 KDX 80
1991 KDX 200
2005 GasGas EC250
2011 GasGas EC300
2008 KTM 300
motoracerx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by motoracerx »

I'm a noob too, and found this while searching for suspension 'how to's".
I believe this is what you made as well.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 02&t=15393