2000 KX 250 shock

A service reference
jbg_3d
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

2000 KX 250 shock

Post by jbg_3d »

I have access to a wrecked KX-250 for parts for my 2001 KDX 200 build and am using the front for already. The rear shock IS in fact 1" longer. Also has a bearing in place of the rubber bushing ends of the KDX shock. My friend thinks that because it is longer, it will bind the suspension in full droop and not react correctly to the bike's linkage.

I am going to tune the fork after I get bike together and all broke-in, what do you guys think? Anyone else done this?

If I stick with the KDX rear shock, tuning recommendations?

I am 215 lbs w/o gear and race enduro in Montana.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 2000 KX 250 shock

Post by KDXGarage »

It will affect mounting and geometry.

Have you ridden the KDX with fresh shock oil or a rebuilt stock shock?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jbg_3d
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jbg_3d »

I have not, and that's the plan. The forks have a fresh seal kit and oil in them, I'm going to rebuild the shock and go from there. Where is a good place to find spring rates and tuning tips? Fredette?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

RaceTech has a good spring rate calculator. Rebuilding the shock is fairly easy and lots of info out there about how to do it. With the proper spring and serviced the stock rear shock will work great. Since you've already used the KX forks (one of the best changes you can make to the KDX) make sure they are sprung for your weight as well. Getting the suspension balanced and dialed in makes a world of difference in handling (the stock KDX is badly unbalanced with a soft front/stiff rear)
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

bufftester wrote:RaceTech has a good spring rate calculator. Rebuilding the shock is fairly easy and lots of info out there about how to do it. With the proper spring and serviced the stock rear shock will work great. Since you've already used the KX forks (one of the best changes you can make to the KDX) make sure they are sprung for your weight as well. Getting the suspension balanced and dialed in makes a world of difference in handling (the stock KDX is badly unbalanced with a soft front/stiff rear)
x2
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

2000 KX 250 shock

Post by gsa102 »

I was thinking about the same switch, but I am trying to dial in the stocker first. A rebuild definitely helps, I still need to try to find the right spring rate. And don't overlook the seat foam if it is sacked out.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
jbg_3d
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jbg_3d »

Awesome guys, thanks for reply.