bearing source

A service reference
mtbill

bearing source

Post by mtbill »

I've got the rear shock & swingarm assembly tore apart on my (new to me) 1984 dx200. all the bearings, bushings & seals look like they haven't been greased since 1983. I can't find a kit for the shock, arm & dog bone link. I found an ALL Balls kit for the swing arm that includes the lower shock bushing. What about the upper & all the rest of the linkage? Do I need to buy all those individually or does someone offer a kit for the 1984? I've spent quite awhile on the net to no avail. Over $400 just for the rear suspension is salty for a freebie, barn find.
Any help would be awesome.

MTbill
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: bearing source

Post by bufftester »

From what I can find the upper bushing is part of the shock rod and not available separately. The lower one is the same as used on the KLR250 which was made up until 2005 so should be easier to find. The linkage ball joints are heims that you could probably take the measurements on and find at a local bearing supply, the link bearing is 24x31x28 so the same on that. The swingarm bearings are HMK2030 which a bearing supply should be able to locate as well. For the vintage bikes sometimes the best thing to do is take the piece with you and hit the bearing supply places, commercial equipment, etc in person.
mtbill

Re: bearing source

Post by mtbill »

Thanks for the info. I just got done scattering all the brown rusty needle bearings from the rocker arm all over the floor. The races are seized in the arm too. Fortunately, the closest bearing shop is only 189 miles away. The fall project may turn into a winter one. :prayer: