'97 KX 125 front end

A service reference
KDXrider1989

'97 KX 125 front end

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I'm pretty sure someone has already done this particular conversion or something similar, but can't find it for some reason. Anyways, does anyone know if I can still use the same braking components from my KDX? (caliper, line, master cylinder) and if the upper triple tree and stem can be pressed into the KX lower triple?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

'97 KX 125 front end

Post by SS109 »

I did a '96 KX125 fork swap on mine and they are the same as the '97 and '98 forks.

Yes, the triples will take the KDX stem. Either have RB do it or at the very least buy his aluminum spacer for the top triple. If this is for an E-series, which I am assuming it is due to your forum name, the brake caliper will not work as the brake caliper adapter has a different spacing. Make sure you either get the adapter with the forks or with the caliper. You will need a '95 or newer KDX200/220 or KX caliper. IIRC I used a '96 KDX220 caliper. Your brake line will work. However, to route it inside the forks you will need to bend the banjo fitting just a bit to clear the bleeder on the caliper. Your stock KDX master cylinder will work just fine. I used the KX wheel also. The steering stops didn't need to be modified on my bike but make sure you check it after mounting them to make sure it clears your tank.

If you need pics let me know!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXrider1989

Re: '97 KX 125 front end

Post by KDXrider1989 »

awesome, thanks SS109, that's pretty much all the info I need! but couldn't I get any machine shop to press out the old KDX stem and into the KX triple tree, and is it some special type of spacer for this setup?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

KDXrider1989 wrote:awesome, thanks SS109, that's pretty much all the info I need! but couldn't I get any machine shop to press out the old KDX stem and into the KX triple tree, and is it some special type of spacer for this setup?

you could go with any machine shop but if you go with Ron you get a ton of experience to go with it
he will be able to get it right the first time

as for the spacer, it is a T shaped alluminum tube that fills in the gap between the KDX stem and the KX upper tripples
there are plenty of people who made it work with shimstock and washers but again, using the spacer will make it sweet and painless the first tiem around
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

diymirage wrote:
KDXrider1989 wrote:awesome, thanks SS109, that's pretty much all the info I need! but couldn't I get any machine shop to press out the old KDX stem and into the KX triple tree, and is it some special type of spacer for this setup?

you could go with any machine shop but if you go with Ron you get a ton of experience to go with it
he will be able to get it right the first time

as for the spacer, it is a T shaped alluminum tube that fills in the gap between the KDX stem and the KX upper tripples
there are plenty of people who made it work with shimstock and washers but again, using the spacer will make it sweet and painless the first tiem around
Yeah, what he said! :supz: Make the swap simple and painless by sending it to RB. He knows all the possible problems and fixes when doing KDX/KX stem swap. His adapter makes everything mount up solid and it doesn't look like ****. BTW, If the stem has the aluminum spanner nut you will need to send that to Ron as well to machine it or it won't tighten down enough. You can read about my swap here: http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=8833
'11 GasGas EC250R
cymon

'97 KX 125 front end

Post by cymon »

I am soon to do the same conversion.
I have a 91 KDX, the donor KX125 year is unknown.

SS109 - the read of your experience is invaluable. unfortunatly i do not have anything similar to RB around the corner to tap into.
i.e. if you could give some more info on the following areas it would be appreciated.

Stems - to use the tripple from the KX - do i have to exchange the stem with that off the KDX tripple - (is this the pressing refered to)
Spacer - you reference a spacer that RB supplied - where does this spacer fit and what does it do - do you have the diamentions
Stearing stops - did you have to do any modification here.
Brake Caliper - is there a way of modifying the KDX caliper or is it out of the question. (the KX unit i have is well shot)

many thanks
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I'll answer what I can...

Yes, you press the stem out of the KDX bottom triple clamp (some heat may be required) and into the KX bottom triple clamp. Depending on the fit, the machinist may need to use a knurling tool to tighten up the clearance in the KX clamp. I used a loctite type retaining compound instead.

The KX top triple likely has a larger diameter hole than the KDX stem. Therefore you need a cylindrical spacer, or can use flat brass shim stock wrapped around the inside of the triple clamp hole to tighten it up. The KDX stem is also longer, so you need washer(s) underneath the top triple so the top nut will hold the assembly tight.

I can't answer for the steering stops or brake caliper. You can rebuild (reseal) the caliper if it is not physically broken.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

you might be able to install the KDX caliper onto the KX bracket and use it that way?

as for the steering stops, you will need to come up with something to keep from hitting your tank
have a look at my conversion, there are some pics there off my steering stops

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... ge#p118131

in short, what i did was drill a hole in the stock steering stops, and them tapped thread into them (m6 i believe)
then i installed a little screw and added washers to get the right spacing
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

'97 KX 125 front end

Post by SS109 »

What gsa said it spot on. When you mock up the pieces you will see what you need to do as far as the top of the clamp to stem gaps. As for steering stop mods, I didn't make any! On my bike it was NOT necessary to do them. I had about a millimeter of clearance from the tank on both sides if I recall correctly. Also, the stock KDX caliper will not bolt up to the stock KX caliper adapter. You would have to literally modify the KX bracket or make a brand new one from scratch.
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

'97 KX 125 front end

Post by rbates9 »

I also did not have to do anything to the steering stops for them to hit the frame. I did have them welded up a little taller so the frame stop wasn't hitting the very top of the stop on the triple. It seems that every swap is a little different as far as what needs to be done to the stops. Some people have done the same swaps and some people will need to adjust the stops and some don't.

For the brake, you said you didn't know what year the KX forks were so you may be able to bolt the KDX caliper and bracket onto the KX forks with no issue.
cymon

'97 KX 125 front end

Post by cymon »

Thanks guys - great info.
KDXrider1989 - good luck with the conversion, if you go the cylindrical spacer route - i would appreciate a picture
I will update you on any frustrations i experience
I will only be able to start next weekend on mine as i HAVE to go for a ride this weekend
gsa102 - i will give the caliper a long soak and see if i can salvage it
cheers bye
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

If you can't push the piston in on the caliper, check the master cylinder. There should be a little hole that lets the fluid back in when you release the handle. Use a wire to make sure it is clear. It can plug up.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
JBM KDX

'97 KX 125 front end

Post by JBM KDX »

So I understand the KDX stock forks aren't the go for the faster riding guys ...many of the rides I do we can average 40-50mph across rough ground (well I did on my modded KTM 525) so now I've just got me a 95 200 with good power mods.....didn't plan on spending much ...but I understand the forks are going be a issue ....at present there is a 92 kx125 complete front end for sale locally just over $100 ...the forks do need rebuilt I'm 190lbs ....look a cheap upgrade but reading here looks like it many cost much more ..also the lower fork protectors don't look very good protection wise as where I ride the bikes rims don't stay dent free for long (lord of the rings was filmed locally)

Also is a 95 KX125 shock a worthwhile upgrade for my KDX one on $1 reserve and does it fit ?