Rear shock help again lol

A service reference
lambe67
Supporting Member

Rear shock help again lol

Post by lambe67 »

Ok guys heres my situation, I bought my bike last year and the owner had changed the rear spring out to a 5.3 kg spring, he told me it was for a 200lb rider. Iv always had problems with it tracking well and it would bounce me off back alot. I asked on here with help on the tracking a little whiles ago but I didnt know the spring weight until I found his receipts he gave me, so I got some help with sag measurements and it was sitting at around 103 rider sag, and set clickers to FRPs recommended both front and back. So I went out the other day and it just felt even worse turning and hitting obstacles, and again bouncing the rear up. I find out through some research that a 5.3kg spring is for a 220 to 240 lb rider is this correct??? I was weighing close to 200 when i got the bike but now am down to 180. Is there away to get around getting a new spring for a couple weeks/months until I get enough for a new spring/revalve. thanks for all help, I did just purchase front forks so I dont have the money for a rear srping right now.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

new oil and nitrogen filled to specs?
lambe67
Supporting Member

Post by lambe67 »

Hmm probably not. Sorry how do u check oil level and nitrogen level. shock was last serviced it looks like from receipt in 2003 I just found this stuff with the box of junk I got with bike.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

How much does the bike sag under its own weight? If it is between 25 and 35 mm your spring rate should be ok.

Try turning in the rebound a click or two at a time and see if it settles down.

If not, your shock may need serviced - oil, seals, and a nitrogen charge. I would leave that to a suspension shop.

I would trade you a stock spring and/or a 5.2 for your 5.3 as I am a little heavier (230#). I am running a Ti 5.5 and it is too stiff, but better than too soft, at least it won't bottom.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

if it feels like you're on a pogo stick that's what it is.
your shock needs serviced - oil, seals? and a nitrogen charge.
lambe67
Supporting Member

Post by lambe67 »

Thanks for replies and gsa102 I may be interested in the trade, my buddy is gonna work on bike with me and see if we can correct thesituation. I remember the static sag being like 36.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

just my .02, u can get a new spring, work on sag and set up all you want, if the oil is junk and most importantly if you're low on N2 pressure you'll never get it to work right.
lambe67
Supporting Member

Post by lambe67 »

I just looked up prices at WER here in NJ for service new oil and nitrogen it is $94.00 I might just send it over to them is that a decent
price? I appreciate your advice
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I had one serviced several years ago for $100, so that is pretty good.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250