swing arm bearing replacement

A service reference
cfox

swing arm bearing replacement

Post by cfox »

My swing arm bearings are toast. I pulled the swingarm off and the bearings fell apart. Not a bit of grease just a lot of rusty needle bearings. I ordered a kit just looking for suggestions on how to get the rusty races out.
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

I used a right-sized socket as a driver. Worked well. Hope this helps.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I ended up using an air chisel. Loud and obnoxious but did the trick... Now if I can only figure out how to get the front linkage bolt out.
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
cfox

Post by cfox »

I just took the whole linkage off where it mounts to the motor with the small shoulder bolts, then drove it out with a punch. All the rocker arm linkage bearings and sleeves were toast as well. The shock looks and feels pretty good though.
I tried the socket and vise method but didn't budge. We have an 80 ton press at work, that might be big enough to do it if I can get it set up just right. I've got an air chisel too. Those races Are coming out of there, one way or another. :mrgreen:
romanm

Post by romanm »

I just did this with two swigarms this weekend

WD40
torch
Hammer
Proper sized socked

1. spray everythign in there with the wd
2. Get the right socket. You need the biggest one that will fit in the openening so that your hitting the bearing with the most surface area. Too small and youll cause oit to expand making the job harder.
3. Heat up the outside and inside. Aluminum heat up fast...so it will expand faster then the metal. I think 20 seconds with the torch should be enough.
4. Insert your socket and bang her out.
cfox

Post by cfox »

I cut through the sleeve with a rotary file and they came out. Put the new bearings in the freezer and pressed them in with a bolt and some washers.
I got a used rocker arm off of e-bay with good bearings. Everythings back together now with new grease and works well.
Thanks for your help.