Help with suspension....please

A service reference
lambe67
Supporting Member

Help with suspension....please

Post by lambe67 »

Ok I dont have the mulla to get my suspension revalved, I baught the bike used last September, the suspensionwas revalved resprung both front and rear, Springs up front and rear are both stiffer and the bike is set up for a 200 pounder. This was done in 2008 the guy said he didnt ride all that much due to his age and what not. When I baught the bike I weighed 200 pounds, the bike felt really plush and sagged alot when I sat on it. I really could not get comfortable in the woods, I always felt like the bike wouldnt track well, and when starting to speed up it would want to bounce me off the rear. I swapped out tires which helped a bit with turning and tracking but still not a comfortable feel, I played with the clickers and what not which also helped but its not all there. Im not sure how to check oil levels, or what oil to use. any help would be greatly appreciated. I have since dropped 15 lbs, Im not sure if that will be a big change or not.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The very very first thing you need to do is set the rear sag. This should be done before you start messing with clicker settings or anything else. If the suspension was revalved and resprung the seller should have been able to provide you with spring weights and clicker settings that the tuner used when doing the suspension. That would give you your starting point.
lambe67
Supporting Member

Post by lambe67 »

Thanks I have the receipts to everything done ill see what actually has been done. Thanks again
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I found the recommended spring weights and clicker settings on Fredette's website are pretty close.

The bike should sag 25-35 mm at the rear wheel under its own weight, and 100-105mm with you on it. Get a buddy to measure while you sit on it.

I found that if the rear is too stiff compared to the front (rear high), it will not track well. It worked WAY better once I softened the rear up, but then it would bottom. Both ends have to be stiffened equally.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
lambe67
Supporting Member

Post by lambe67 »

Thank you for the info