KDX 200 forks – totally forked off

A service reference
Timtryn

KDX 200 forks – totally forked off

Post by Timtryn »

Okay, so I have introduced myself and now is the time to embar-arse myself.
Need to change the fork seals on my 92 KDX 200 (standard forks). forks have been removed, springs and spacers removed, cir-clip removed, dust cover removed and thats as far as I have got. The manual says pull both ends like a slide hammer, did this a couple of times, but doesn't feel right. I am sure I am missing something, but have checked and rechecked and according to the manual, they should come apart "easily". Now I am totally confused and getting really forked off. Please tell me what I am doing wrong.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Yeah you need to undo the bottom nut which is a beotch. An impact to remove it if you have one but the better way is to make or get the tool that fits down inside the upper fork tube to hold the rod while you undo the nut at the bottom. I just made one with my welder, Inside one is a hex head, I can't remember the size. I think you could make a holder out of some copper fittings soldered into a t wrench with a hex water fitting filed to the correct size and soldered to the end of the T.

Freddette also has the correct wrench.
I think it's easy to bugger it with an impact unless you're confident with one and don't let the nut spin the rod too much

Good luck!
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
Timtryn

Post by Timtryn »

Thanks Fietch. 4 hours later and I still cannot get the bottom nut loose. It will not budge, and I think using a 4 pound hammer is not the same as an impact driver. So I resign myself to the fact that I will have to go to the local bike shop and get screwed. our local bike shop charge what they want –if you don't like then a do it yourself attitude. :?
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Just make the holder...
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
Timtryn

Post by Timtryn »

made the holder :grin: got the forks apart, found some old welded socket at a pawn shop and ground it down – made the perfect holder. Thanks Fletch,