Progressive fork springs

A service reference
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Progressive fork springs

Post by gsa102 »

Has anyone tried progressive XR fork springs? I would like a cheap set to tide me over unitl I can change out the front end. They seem to be pretty common, and cheap. Is their performance acceptable in stock forks?
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

How cheap are you getting them for? Reason I ask is I got a fork swap for $200, so weigh your options...
'00 KDX 220R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Slick_Nick wrote:How cheap are you getting them for? Reason I ask is I got a fork swap for $200, so weigh your options...
+1

I bought a blown up KX 250 for cheap and did the swap. I sold enough of the other parts to pay for the parts bike so I ended up with a free fork swap. And I still have some parts left over to sell when I get around to it.

IMHO, a rolling bike for a swap is ideal because you have everything you might need and can part out the rest.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

$53 delivered. I really need to get it sprung for my weight. I got the right spring for the back, but the front is so soft it keeps slipping out in the corners. Tomorrow is the last HS race for the season, though, if I skip the last event which is too far away.

My wr450 has way better suspension except in the rocks, but it wears me out before the end of the race. So I end up being faster on the KDX if the trail isn't all whooped out.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Springs will help some, but you may still find the forks lacking. At that price it's worth a try.
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

I agree
Ontario, Canada
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I tightened the fork compression up to 15 clicks in, and loosened the rear spring up 2 turns to settle the back end. Added one click rebound to 11 out, and reduced compression on the shock to 14 clicks out.

The bike was balanced and STUCK LIKE GLUE. Awesome traction on the clay. The woods were very greasy and rocky, and soft settings helped more than they hurt. But it was WAY too soft to run across the field sections at speed, which of course, were run across the furrows like whoops.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250