Setting Fork action

A service reference
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Setting Fork action

Post by Indawoods »

Setting the compression:

1.) The forks should react to all trail variations. If the forks seem harsh on small bumps, holes, rocks, or roots soften the compression. (Turn clicker out) If they are relatively smooth, stiffen (Turn clicker in.) until they do feel harsh and then turn back a click or two.

2.) Now find the rough part of the trail again. The forks should bottom over the worst g-load or jump. If harsh bottoming occurs, add oil in 5-mm increments.

Setting the rebound:

The rebound damping is responsible for the stability and the cornering characteristics of the motorcycle.

1) Find a short sweeper. When the forks compress for the turn, the speed at which the forks return is the energy that pushes your front wheel into the ground. If the forks rebound too quickly, the energy will be used up and the bike will drift wide, or wash. If the rebound is too slow, the bike will tuck under and turn too soon to the inside.

2). With the bike turning well, the wheel should return to the ground quickly and not deflect off successive impacts. If it does, reduce the rebound. (Turn out)

Guidelines for different conditions:
For hardpack to intermediate:

Set the compression softer, (Turn clicker out) front and rear to help get maximum wheel contact and plushness.

Sand conditions:

(Non-square edged bumps); More low speed compression and rebound are necessary. Start by adding 1-2 clicks (Turn clicker in.) of rebound and as the track gets rough, add compression 1-4 clicks. (Turn clicker in.) (Supplementary sand set-up techniques). Harshness is a result of packing in forks. Remember to add compression (Turn clicker in) to help keep the front end from packing The rear suspension will exhibit packing by swapping. To eliminate swapping begin adding compression (Turn clicker in) until the bike tracks straight and then add rebound (Turn clicker in) to keep the rear following the terrain of each whoop. Don't be concerned if your clickers are nearly maxed out in sand conditions. Unless of course you had your bike revalved for sand.

Rocks and Roots:

Rocks and roots will make your suspension work at it’s worst. Try reducing compression till the suspension can react and not deflect off every impact.

Unpleasantries?

Head shake:

Adjust the forks lower in the triple clamps. If that does not improve the suspension then reduce the rebound on the front fork. (Turn out)

Excessive rear end kick:

Check for packing, which is identified by kick to side in hard to loam conditions. If you observe packing, soften rebound. (Turn clicker out.) This can not be avoided if you brake improperly and lock the rear wheel up and/or pull in the clutch, on the entrance to corners.

Keep a record of the conditions and the different settings if you ride in different areas. That way you can start at a point that worked well the previous times.

This information was taken from:
http://www.mx-tech.com/tuning_offroad.asp
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kawboy2006

Post by kawboy2006 »

how do you adjust the rebound only compreesion adjusters on the front
2006 kdx200,
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Get forks that have rebound adjustment.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
jovan

Setting Fork action

Post by jovan »

Hey guys, l have some questions about setting the suspension. I am big guy, around 100kg almoust, l dont know how much is in lbs, probably 220lbs, l have 220 sr version, and l am planing to change the oil in the front fork.l am not so happy with my front fork, my rebound is on maximum, turns out max.and l am driving 220 like l am on the race, but on the normal trails, rocky, hard terrains, l feel that fork need to be more hard, the rear suspension work fine, l adjusted the rear, but front fork l feel is a little weak, maybe this is disadvantage of the kdx 220, l read that a lot of people change forks on the 220bikes...l need some advice, how to make harder fork? With spring, or if l can put thick oil?
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Setting Fork action

Post by Sullyfam »

You will need to get the right springs on the bike (front and rear) first. I include the rear because it will impact the front end and overall balance of the bike. Different weight oil helps, but it will in no way offset having the wrong springs on the bike. In general lighter oil will pass more easily through the orifices/valve stack making the forks feel softer or more compliant. That said, I would change one thing at a time starting with the springs, then move from there. Hope this helps and others will likely have better/more detailed advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jovan

Post by jovan »

I will try first with oil, you meant if l put more thick oil, fork will be more hard, or if l put just a little more oil capacity into fork, l read here, a little over normal ml l need to add? The problem is in my country is very hard to find the parts, if l have opportunity to take springs, l will change them, can you tell me which is stock number spring, and which l need to put?
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

More and thicker oil will make the suspension a bit harder/stiffer. It may not be terribly noticeable if the springs are way off, but you can certainly start with the oil. Hope it helps and best of luck!!!!

Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

Here some info for 96-2006 200, not sure if it's much different than the 220. Hope it helps.

ImageImage

jovan

Post by jovan »

Thank you very much, l download manual for kdx200, l think its the same fork, l will start with different oil first