Is this normal for an e-series fork to do?

A service reference
Fletch

Is this normal for an e-series fork to do?

Post by Fletch »

Hey all
During the weekend I had a really big ride on the 89 and it was great. I was quick enough in the woods and the engine was more than up to the task.
I did notice a couple things about the forks that I was hoping to get some help on.
1. Climbing the steep stuff in 1st where you had to pic lines the front was difficult to place and keep tracking. That could just be me though. I noticed it would deflect off of larger rocks and screw up my line. Short climbs in 2nd seemed fine, I just kept the gas on to keep the front light, pointed it and let the rear torque it up
2. This was a bit scary, when going fast and leaning the bike if I hit an object bigger than a hard ball the bike would deflect hard and shoot me into the inside of the turn into the woods. I ended up in the junipers once and was glad there were no big rocks around. It seems to do this more in 3rd on the pipe than in 2nd or 1st.

Is it just technique i'm lacking here or am I getting to the limit of the forks at speed? Would emulators help in this situation? or technique tips?

I don't have to be the fastest in the boulders but in the single track or a little wider I like to rail it. and I don't want to do a fork swap yet for lack of cash and because I don't want to suffer in the single track before I can afford a revalve of an mx fork.
cheers
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Sounds to me like you have discovered why a lot of us swap to MX forks. The stockers flex a lot. The flex is very noticeable on big hits and it is even worse when cornering on rough trail or at speed. Sorry, there really isn't anything you can do other than a fork swap.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

They need sprung correctly for your weight, and lighter oil can help with the rebound but it's all a trade-off. Most people have been able to shop wisely, and put MX forks on for the cost of springs alone much less springs and emulators.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project